Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp recovery problem....no idea on a fix...please help!!!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 londonboy28

londonboy28

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 04:20 PM

I have recently been given the task o trying to emove several viruses from my parents Dell computer.... I managed to remove them but the virus programs i used may have also removed or deleted an infected Windows file.

As a result, shortly after going into Windows, the blue screen of death with the "Disable bios setup for caching and shadowing" message appeared.

I decided to do a repair of the current Windows XP OS in the hope that any missing files would be put back.

All was working fine until the devices installation part started. 34% in, a message stating that "The file prounstl.exe Intel PRO Network connections Disk is needed" appeared. The mouse and keyboard froze at this stage, so I could not skip or even navigate to where prounstl.exe might be.

I switched the computer off and on, and setup restarted. It reached the the prounstl.exe request and the same thing happened again.

I cannot start in safe mode or last known good configuration, as it insists on finishing setup.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 3100 with XP Pro Service Pack 2.

Is there anything i can do?? slipstream the xp installation disc maybe?..........i dont know!

im pretty stuck on this one.

if anyone can help i'd be very grateful. thanks guys

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,298 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

FWIW, http://www.processlist.com/info/prounstl-5.html

I have a hard time understanding...why the lack of an uninstaller for a network device...would prevent a repair installation of XP.

The error message re BIOS...may indicate a memory problem...may indicate something unrelated...like a bad CMOS battery.

I would replace the CMOS battery and then see if any of this clears up. If not, that's one less item to consider.

CMOS Battery Replacement - http://www.liverepair.com/encyclopedia/art...cmosreplace.asp

FWIW: It helps if you post the full details of any BSOD error message...these abridged versions of error messages are usually not very helpful, IMO. STOP errors (BSODs) are difficult enough with all details which appear onscreen.

Louis

#3 londonboy28

londonboy28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

Hi Louis....Do you know i thought the same thing, but i didnt really question it becuase by the time it pops up, something wipes out the usb's, which means the mouse and keyboard shut off and i cannot do anything
do you know why it is freezing everything up? the xp install screen changes its text, the green lights are still going, but nothing works lol...very annoying.

i got a bsod a few days ago but i was out of the room before i got to it on 99 then it reset itself.

if i cant fix this and have to format, whats the best software you reccomend to go in before windows starts and transfer files off the hard drive?

it defo isnt a battery prob hence its a desktop and is hardly used really. i still think theres a virus lurking somewhere but id rather find its a fixable windows fault lol.

anyway. thanks louis. i look forward to your suggestions =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users