Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hardware causing computer to be slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse_C

Jesse_C

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

Ok, My computer was always very fast. I have now had it for about 2 1/2 years. One day I decided to download a program from www.download.com that monitored my CPU temperature. As soon as it downloaded My computer turned off. I immediately panicked. I looked at my tower and the power button was amber colored. I pushed it and the internal fan came on and was very loud and spinning very fast. Nothing came on the monitor though when i turned it on. I turned it off and back on two more times and the same result came. The third time, however, I pulled the power cord out the back. Then after about 10 seconds plugged it back in and turned it on and it started normally. I went in and looked for the program but it was not fully installed so it was no where to be found. Ever since then my computer has been really slow. THe startup time is really slow. My resource monitor says that i have dangerously low resources when I load internet explorer. I have recently disabled the resource manager along with many unneeded startup programs. Everything loads really slow. I went in and cleaned out many areas on my computer. I deleted all unneeded programs. I have 400gb free on my hard drive so I know that is not an issue. I have defraged that multiple times. I have done disk cleanup. I pulled everything out internally and cleaned all the dust out. I put new thermal compound in between the cpu and heat sink to ensure the cpu is not overheating. I have done multiple virus scans, malware scans, etc and nothing has cured the problem.

I am beginning to believe it is a hardware issue. I wanted to see what you guys thought. I do have some experience troubleshooting computers but I cant seem to figure this one out. Replace anything?

I tried all the tests that members at this forum suggested for the spyware end of it. They said everything looks fine. So what could it be on the inside?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

Ifr you have access to a power supply try it in your computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

Could be power supply... Just out of curiousity, do you have another hard drive you can play with? If so, maybe remove your primary hard drive and try reinstalling Windows. If it's fast again, (or not) that will help you for sure narrow this thing down.

A lot of things could make a computer slow, and in my mind it's unlikely that what you did would mess something up on the hardware side.

#4 Jesse_C

Jesse_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:12 PM

Thanks for the quick replies you two. Much appreciated. I do not have a second hard drive. However I have been considering buying another. I have also thought it could be the power supply. I have two monitors hooked up to it so it is powering more. Is there any way I can test it? Should i just see the output from it and see if it compairs to the specs?

#5 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

Monitors won't have any effect on your computer or its power supply. It sounds to me like you just need a fresh install of Windows. It's amazing what a difference that will make. Make sure you back up all your data! A second hard drive will make it a lot easier.

#6 Jesse_C

Jesse_C
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:58 PM

ok, thanks for the help everyone! I appreciate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users