Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows 7 RC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Microsoft recently released the Release Candidate version of their latest Windows operating system, called Windows 7. It is available for free download to everyone to try out, test, and try to break.

Minimum System Requirements:
Internet access (to download Windows 7 RC and get updates)
1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

If your system doesn't meet the above requirements, you probably won't be able to do much with Windows 7 RC, sorry.

To learn more about the Release Candidate, how to get it, and the restrictions and caveats surrounding it, please see this topic: Windows 7 Release Candidate Download Available.

This guide assumes that you are performing a "clean" install of Windows 7 RC and not an upgrade (this is also the recommendation of Microsoft) and that you are not going to be setting up a dual-boot system with another operating system such as Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Linux.

Once you have downloaded the Windows 7 RC ISO file and burned it to a blank DVD, insert the DVD into the drive of the computer on which you wish to install Windows 7 RC and start the computer. You will see a screen prompting you to boot from the Windows 7 RC setup DVD.
(You may need to change the boot priority of your computer to the DVD drive for this)

The DVD will then boot up and present you with several rather bland loading screens. Just sit back and relax until you get this one:
Posted Image

Select your language, time, currency and keyboard type (default is USA) and then click the Next button. This will take you to the next screen:
Posted Image

Click the Install Now button to continue:

Posted Image

After the setup program initializes, you will be asked to read and agree to the license agreement:
Posted Image

Tick the I accept the license terms box and click Next to continue to the next screen:

Posted Image
At this screen, be sure to click the Custom (Advanced) button.

Now, at the disk selection screen, you should see all of your hard drives represented in the list. If you have only one hard drive, you should see only one:
Posted Image

Select the drive you wish to install Windows 7 RC on and click the Drive options (Advanced) link. This will make the advanced controls visible in the window:
Posted Image

Double check that you've selected the right drive and then click the New link.

Warning: Be absolutely sure that you've selected the right drive. This drive will be formatted and overwritten and all data thereon will be lost!

Now click the Apply button:
Posted Image

The installer will then advise you that it might create additional partitions for system files, click OK. Now click Next to continue.

Now begins the fun part of waiting while the installer, well, installs. Get yourself a nice cup of coffee or tea and sit back for the next few screens:
Posted Image
Still drinking that coffee? Good. Wait for the computer to reboot:
Posted Image
Followed by yet another reboot.

Wait for it to start up again.

Okay! Now, enter the username you want to use. You can add other users later. Remember: the user you enter now will have administrator rights as soon as you log in. Once you've entered a username (and, optionally, a computer name), press Next to continue:
Posted Image

Now that you've named yourself as the master of this computer, you'll want to protect it with a good password. Choose a strong password, enter it twice to confirm, and enter a password hint. With that all done, click Next to continue.
Posted Image

Now comes the part that every Windows user loves, the part that warms their cockles and gives them a warm and fuzzy feeling for the good people at Microsoft Corp: Entering you Product Key!

You should have gotten a Product Key from the same page you downloaded Windows 7 RC. If you lost it, don't fret! Just go back to the download page to get it.
Posted Image

Now choose how you want Windows 7 RC to protect your computer. Personally, I chose the option to Ask Me Later so I could get to the desktop as soon as possible; you can always set it up later:
Posted Image

Now set your time and date:
Posted Image

Now you need to tell Windows 7 RC what kind of network you're on. If you're not sure, you're probably on a Home network:
Posted Image

Got any coffee left? Good, because you're in for a little more waiting...
Posted Image

WOOT! We're all done! See the fish? That means you're done!
Posted Image

Now that you're done, you should probably run Windows Update to get all the latest patches and fixes. Have fun with Windows 7 RC!

Remember:

The RC will expire on June 1, 2010. Starting on March 1, 2010, your PC will begin shutting down every two hours. Windows will notify you two weeks before the bi-hourly shutdowns start. To avoid interruption, you'll need to rebuild your test machine using a valid version of Windows before the software expires. You'll need to rebuild your test PC to replace the OS and reinstall all your programs and data.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 21 May 2009 - 06:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 03:47 PM

Minimum System Requirements:
Internet access (to download Windows 7 RC and get updates)
1 GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 GB RAM (32-bit) / 2 GB RAM (64-bit)
16 GB available disk space (32-bit) / 20 GB (64-bit)
DirectX 9 graphics processor with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver

I've actually been able to install the RC in a virtual machine with just 512MB of RAM and 7GB of space. It ran fine, but it wasn't very fun. I wanted the transparent windows. :huh:
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

I've actually been able to install the RC in a virtual machine with just 512MB of RAM and 7GB of space. It ran fine, but it wasn't very fun. I wanted the transparent windows. :huh:

I was able to do precisely the same (though with a 20GB virtual disk) It ran quite spryly on 512MB on my dual-core machine. Very impressive. Those are Microsoft's recommended minimum spec's, though.

I wanted the transparent windows too, I guess it's back to Linux for me!

#4 kalpia

kalpia

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2009 - 03:28 PM

Nice job, thanks
To error is human, to forgive is against company policy

#5 maremiru

maremiru

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:43 PM

Nice overwiew. My clean install on a Vista 32-bit is commencing with W 7 RC is 64-bit version. Hope everything works fine :-)

Edited by maremiru, 14 August 2009 - 02:05 PM.

#6 hulkbuster

hulkbuster

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 03:18 AM

What Build is the Win7 RC,,,,,

expecting some reply.....
Thank you.

Edited by hulkbuster, 31 August 2009 - 03:18 AM.

#7 bandaid1968

bandaid1968

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2009 - 07:07 AM

build number 7100

#8 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:33 AM

I never knew that it was actually possible to have a visually-appealing installation process. Windows 7 is awesome!

Thanks for the guide. :huh:

#9 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• Topic Starter

• 8,250 posts
  •  

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:54 AM

I never knew that it was actually possible to have a visually-appealing installation process.

*cough*Ubuntu*cough* :huh:

#10 johnfernandez

johnfernandez

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:10 AM

If you're currently on Vista, there's an upgrade option during install that's supposed to carry over your files and programs. You'll likely need to reinstall a compatible antivirus, however.

If you don't select that option, it will write over everything.

If you're coming from XP, you don't get a choice. It wipes it.

Do keep in mind it's in testing, and you'll have to fresh install something else by the time it expires, so you'll likely need to backup anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users