Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone keeps accessing my wireless

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 theeboredone

theeboredone

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Hello all, I come with a very dire problem. For God knows what reason, someone has always managed to access our family's wireless. I don't know why, considering I have a firewall, an extremely complicated password, and static IPs/DNS addresses, and you cannot access the wireless without those. With that being said, could someone potentially explain how someone could access our network? This has happened multiple times, and I'm almost positive it's from the same person, as we've changed our IP information each time. The only solution I would have would to decrease the range on the wireless, as I don't have any more methods of security without all of them overlapping on each other and creating a problem in itself. Thanks for any advice/tips.

And one more quick question: could this potentially be caused by a virus/keylogger/whatever? I'll send in HiJacker logs if I have to :thumbsup:.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RavenPhoenix

RavenPhoenix

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:04 PM

welllll, they could be "Aircracking" you, which means they are hacking into your network by sampling packets that are sent out and cracking your password. What password protection are you using? WPA? WPA-2? WPSK?
Forum Skulker. Preventing Comp Nukes everywhere. :-)

#3 theeboredone

theeboredone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:20 PM

Using WPA-2. At this point, I'm just going to consider using MAC filtering to prevent any more problems. Still, it bothers me that someone in this neighborhood could potentially have enough skill and knowledge to do something like this.

#4 RavenPhoenix

RavenPhoenix

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

Have you tried selecting the passphrase option?

Edited by RavenPhoenix, 20 May 2009 - 01:56 PM.

Forum Skulker. Preventing Comp Nukes everywhere. :-)

#5 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:17 AM

Gotta ask.......How do you know someone else is on your network?

How long does it take them to access your network after a key change?

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#6 x43

x43

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:25 PM

Try setting up MAC address filtering. ;)
x43

Hoping to become a malware fighter Posted Image

#7 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:53 PM

Using WPA-2. At this point, I'm just going to consider using MAC filtering to prevent any more problems. Still, it bothers me that someone in this neighborhood could potentially have enough skill and knowledge to do something like this.

Highly recommended.

Gotta ask.......How do you know someone else is on your network?

If the attacker is using DHCP, then you can look up the clients list and see if there's an extra entry. If you have a Linksys router, you can use the EasyLink Adviser software to view who's on the LAN. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Edited by MadDawg, 22 May 2009 - 03:55 PM.

A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 PM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

Enable MAC filtering if you wish, but don't bother disabling ESSID broadcast. (Bypassing MAC address filtering is trivial btw)

Why Non-broadcast Networks are not a Security Feature
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library...26942.aspx#EDAA

Also, limit the number of DHCP addresses assigned by the AP/wireless router.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users