Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not copyable DVD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 studio55

studio55

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

I am about to make some 50 copies DVD of a recetpion's video and would like to know if there is a way to make these DVD's copy_proof, in other word I don't want the average Joe to copy them from his friends DVD.

I know that it is almost impossible to do that but I also know that you can make it harder and harder for average Joe to copy it using Nero, DVD copy, Roxio or such programms.

I know such programms will warn you that this video_DVD is copyrighted and can not be copied, how do I make my DVD'd for such programs to alert and prohib Average joe from copying the DVD.

Are there any Free or inexpensive program to do this? or is it just the way they are burned?
Just a reminder as I mentioned this is a DVD that must play on DVD players and computers too and is not just a DATA DVD.

Many thanks
Rick

Edited by studio55, 20 May 2009 - 09:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 High500

High500

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 01 July 2009 - 07:24 AM

You have answered your own question to an extent studio55

Copy protection can be added to DVD's but at a cost, and I would guess it would be quite expensive. The most likely answer is Macrovision protection but a licence for such a thing would outweigh your requirements by far (I would guess anyway)

Average Joe these days is copying DVD's as we speak. It is so easy to do with all in one programs out there right now that require just a few clicks which average Joe is sure going to find very easy, and if they dont, I am also sure they know someone who can, or a website that will show them how.

Best bet? bite the bullet, hope no-one rips you off and use the saved cash on copy protection to make the keep case look awesome.

Oh another thing you could "possibly" do. Get your orders and cash in BEFORE releasing any copies. That way no one has a copy yet before anyone else. But again people talk and will say "you order it mate ill copy it from you we split the costs".

Catch22 my friend, even the movie industry cant fight this one too well, so why spend extra cash on something that can be defeated? Understand why you want to though, but unfortunatley this is the world we live in today and we have to suck it up and live with it.

Sorry I was not very helpful for you in achieving your goal, I did try looking for such a way using free or cheap options, but I didn't find anything that would suit your requirements. Problem is you can copy protect media in a variety of ways, but in your case the DVD must remain playable on standalone players, which makes this harder to do I am afraid.

High500

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users