Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to connect to website through windows server 2003

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uByte

uByte

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 09:43 AM

I am trying to figure out why I am unable to connect to a website (adobe.com in this case) through my DNS on my Windows Server 2003. As far as I know this is the only website that will not work. I currently have Active Directory,and DNS running.

What I would like to do is use the DNS to forward all the users to OpenDNS.org DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Is there a way to do that (easily)? Also is there a certain location to which blocks certain domains with Window Server 2003.

I am only assuming that it is in the DNS. Could it be something else?

Thanks,
uByte

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

Hi, to see if it is a DNS issue just ping adobe.com by name and then ip. If you can ping it via name it would not be DNS. For security we only use IE on servers to test our web sites and MS updates, as surfing the net on a Server is a security issue. If this works you could flush the DNS cache.
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns

"What I would like to do is use the DNS to forward all the users to OpenDNS.org DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Is there a way to do that (easily)? Also is there a certain location to which blocks certain domains with Window Server 2003."

Not sure what you are trying to achieve here?
MCP
MSDST

#3 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2009 - 06:53 PM

Let me try to rephrase my question.

everyone in the network connects to the server as it is the DNS. Everyone on the network (including the server) is unable to connect to adobe.com. My question is why?

"What I would like to do is use the DNS to forward all the users to OpenDNS.org DNS servers (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220). Is there a way to do that (easily)? Also is there a certain location to which blocks certain domains with Window Server 2003."

I would like to use OpenDNS.org DNS servers as a forward. Can this be done easily on the DNS server? Is there a certain spot on the DNS manager that will allow you to block sites like adobe.com? If so, maybe I could start there (maybe its just blocked).

Sometimes I forget that there are other people that don't understand my brain.

#4 James K

James K

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:28 AM

to easily use openDNS you can open your DNS from admin tools and set the forwarders to the open dns IP address'. This should sort you out. there are also instructions on the open dns site.

james

#5 uByte

uByte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:16 PM

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how many times that I have gone to opendns.org but it amazes me that i didn't see the link for configuring the windows 2003 server. I did try it am still having the same problem in which I am not able to go to adobe.com.

Maybe I should delete and reconfigure it. Does anyone else have any ideas?

uByte

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users