Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major system instability. BSOD IdeChnDr.sys.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 .bLah

.bLah

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:38 AM

So I got my computer. Yay... Old computer I've had for a while now. A 2002 Compaq Evo D500 with Windows XP, 250GIG Seagate IDE HDD.
Lately I've been trying to solve major system instability. I've been googling and googling untill today when I googled "IdeChnDr.sys BSOD" and got "blah blah blah, uninstall Intel Application Accelerator blah blah blah.." and the lightbulb in my head went "DING!", that must be the problem. So I googled "Uninstalling Intel Application Accelerator" and I run into this.

Once the Intel® Application Accelerator has been installed on a hard drive larger than 137GB with Windows* XP and Windows* 2000, you will be able to access the full capacity of the hard drive. If you later decide to uninstall the Intel Application Accelerator, you will not be able to access any data located in the 48-bit LBA region (above 137GB). Uninstalling the Intel Application Accelerator removes the 48-bit support that was previously enabled.

If you experience instability issues after removing the Intel Application Accelerator from a hard drive larger than 137GB, this may be because applications were previously installed in the upper 48-bit LBA region.

If no other hard drive changes were made to any existing partitions, you should be able to reinstall the Intel Application Accelerator in order to correct these issues. After the Intel Application Accelerator is reinstalled, you should once again be able to access the data in the upper 48-bit LBA region.

As I said before I have a 250GB HDD, with about 20GB free space. ...... I'm mad as hell... :thumbsup:

Let me list my problems in detail, maybe its not the accelerator... : :flowers:

Computer will randomly freeze, usualy when dealing with programs/files that have been on the system for a while, in two different ways:
* Everything stops where it is, with HDD activity light off. When I press the power button the system will instantly shutdown. (Usualy I need to hold the power button.)
* Then there is the other type, probably already has a fancy name but for now I'll call it the brick, everything freezes just like the other type but this time a weird red, not solid red but kinda like a brick, bar will apear accross the top of the screen 100% width by about 10px height. Also, the HDD activity light is solid green, not blinking/flickering but solid, and I still have to hold the power button for a few secconds to shutdown.

Random BSOD's, like the freezes, there are two types I experience:
* The first one, which is more often then the seccond, is a driver error saying something about IdeChnDr.sys and then it does a "Dumping Physical Memory: " (or something like that) from 0 to 100.
* The seccond one, used to happen all the time before the first one, which is just a "Windows has detected an error and needed to shutdown..." with a "* STOP: 0x0000...." and no "Dumping Physical Memory: " like the first.
Sorry, I wrote down the STOP errors and all the numbers and stuff but, I forgot to bring the paper to class with me. If they are needed I can get them tomorrow.

CHKDSK is always wanting to run, of course, but recently will not make it past 28% on stage 1 of 3. It gets to 28% then freezes, allowing me to shutdown without holding the power button, and after a while of letting it sit it will display the BSOD error two I described above. CHKDSK used to run through stage 3 of 3 then after (I forget what the last thing it did) it would just sit there and I would have to push the good old power button, which would not get rid of the CHKDSK at bootup.

The freezes will happen totaly randomly, pretty much the only things I can do on my computer without freezing are watch my movies/tv shows or use little programs that have been installed recently. The BSOD, however, will also appear randomly but always appear when I do any of the following; Disk Cleanup and Disk Defrag. Defrag wouldn't run untill I ran the Disk Cleanup so I installed O&O Defrag Pro but that would just crash or cause BSOD.
Another problem program is Winamp. I updated it and messed with settings but no matter what Winamp will randomly crash when I change songs. Winamp is the only program that does not freeze my system or cause BSOD, instead it gives me its own error, something similar to the BSOD error two, something about memory. Like before, I wrote down the STOP errors and all the numbers and stuff but, I forgot to bring the paper to class with me. I can get them tomorrow.

Last, but not least, Safe mode. Does not boot. It gets to loading agp440.sys and just sits there. I have not tried booting in safe mode recently though, I'll try it again tonight and get back with more details if needed.

I can't tell you in detail when and how the problems started only because I didnt cause them, literally. My computer was being used by family for about 4 to 5 months, WITHOUT A POWER STRIP!! which is what I think started the problems in the first place. The computer was plugged directly into the wall outlets of an old house where fuses are always, always, blowing. Though I've never experienced using a computer with no Serge Protector so I'm not 100% certain on the effects of that.
Anyway, before that, when it was just me using the computer, I was somewhat good at keeping it stable. Yah, I ran into problems but I always seemed to get through them and they were never this severe.

Tonight I'm going to mess around with the Intel Application Accelerator. Update It, experiment with uninstalling it and so on.. I'm beginning to think now, maybe my uncle, for whatever reason, has already uninstalled it and maybe I just need to install it again.
In about a week I'm going to purchase an IDE DVD burner/reader/writer and 100 or so DVD's from newegg, burn all my movies, tv shows, music, and so on then just going to reformat and maybe test out windows 7. Until then I would like to play some games and do some PHP development without BSOD's.
If anyone has any ideas or anything I could try please, dont hesitate to post it.

Edited by .bLah, 20 May 2009 - 11:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,088 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:30 PM

Troubleshooting Windows STOP Messages (AUMHA) - http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm

Louis

#3 .bLah

.bLah
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:17 AM

Problem Solved! ..I probably should have waited to post this, now I feel like a nub. :thumbsup:

The problem was the Intel Application Accelerator. I uninstalled it and now everythings working fine.
Well.. besides the BSOD I get after the Windows XP Loading Screen saying UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. Luckily I've delt with that before and I know how to fix it. I just need to find a XP CD.

I guess this can be a reference for anyone having the same problems. Fix: Uninstall Intel Application Accelerator.
I hope it helps someone, someday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users