Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Hard Drive Problem?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Soul16

Soul16

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:56 AM

I had been on my computer all day with absolutely no problem, when all of the sudden my computer froze, so I manually restarted it by holding the power button. When I restarted the computer it was extremely slow, and multiple programs froze on startup. Now the computer almost has a stutter where it will seem like its running fine for about 10 seconds, but then when a program is used I receive the message that it isn't responding and it asks if I want to close it or wait for it to respond. It does this with anything, and seems to only be able to handle an internet browser (slowly).

The first thing I did was open the task manager and resource monitor to see what was going on. The cpu seems normal at a low 1-15%, network seems steady, memory is only at about 30% (normal), but the hard disk seems to be spiking up and dipping down to practically nothing.

So does anyone have any idea what this could mean? How I could diagnose it? Or what I could do about it.

I have installed the newest Mobo and video card drivers (just to see if it had something to do with those) but nothing changed. I'm in the process of defragging it to see if that helps.

I am running Vista SP1, have a 2.5ghz Intel Q9300 Quad Core, 750i FTW SLI Motherboard, 9800GTX GPU, 4gb of Ram, and a 760watt power supply.

If any other info is needed I'd be glad to give it.
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:57 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would try running the chkdsk /r command, http://searchenterprisedesktop.techtarget....1276029,00.html

If that fails to complete...I would download/run a hard drive diagnostic from the HD manufacturer's website.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users