Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

x64 hangs on startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Slatz

Slatz

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:30 PM

Prologue: I put this system together for the office. It has caused nothing but trouble. I'd assume I had a lemon motherboard, except that the problems are diverse. Last summer it went out totally, which is why it got passed off to me personally. A new processor, put in last week, brought it back to life. Until tonight).

On an Windows XP Professional 64 bit system, Windows won't start. Specifically, it runs through POST, and gets to the black Windows XP screen (with the rolling bar). It goes no further. The loading bar never stops moving, but the computer loads no further.

The last major thing I did was download two x64 updates from Windows Update. They did not make me restart the computer. I had been using the computer (specifically, was on the internet through Firefox at tvtropes), and left it for about an hour and a half. When I moved the mouse to awaken the computer, it came up to a frozen internet screen. C+A+D didn't do anything, so I hit restart on the tower, which is when the problems started.

I have tried to load in safe mode. Safe mode loads somewhat. It's black screen with the safe mode text at the corners, and an usable mouse, but no graphical background or menu, nor keyboard response for either the start menu or a CTL+ALT+DEL.

Trying to load with last set up that worked produces the same response as normal.

I got out the XP disk and loaded up recovery console. I went to run chkdsk. Chkdsk /r freezes as well. It identifies the drive's volume information, then does nothing further. Chkdsk ran without flags runs, but only states that the disk is sound and there's no reason to run chkdsk.

Any suggestions?

And thank you, in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,870 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:25 PM

If chkdsk /r freezes...that is a sign of either a hard drive problem or an NTFS file system problem, IMO.

Previous history with NTFS problems by me...I will get an advisement stating that the disk has problems and chkdsk /r cannot continue.

So I suggest running a hard drive manufacturer's diagnostic on the drive in question.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

Louis

#3 Slatz

Slatz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:22 AM

Tried that, which lead to an interesting twist. Well, maybe not interesting, but interesting to me.

I ran the WD diagnostics from CD. An "it's a paperweight" error message shows up. I figure, "okay, let's replace it."

I start playing around with spare drives I have, seeing if there are any good to use. On a whim, I stick the drive from the computer into an external reader. The drive comes up normal. I can still access and use all files there. So I try chkdsk through the other computer, which runs.

Reinstalling it and trying it out, it still has the same problem with boot. I have yet to play around with it, though, to see if I can get something working through safe or recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users