Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

I had posted this topic a couple of months ago, regarding Mcafee Virus Scan becoming disabled. I thought the problem went away, however Virus Scan is once again becoming disabled on it's own. I manually 'enable' the program, then it works fine for a day or so, then it is disabled again. I have contacted Mcafee several times, but they have been unable to resolve this issue. Right now Virus Scan is disabled and it will not allow me to manually enable the program.

Can anyone help??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:12 PM

I recommend you trash McCrappy and install AVG Free Edition Just my humble opinion.
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:17 PM

When does your subscription run out?
I agree with the last poster. I use to use commercially available products and found that they slowed my system down. AVG is free, and does not affect system performance, as some of the other commercially available anti-virus products.

Good luck.

Edited by Joshuacat, 26 June 2005 - 09:24 PM.

JC

#4 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

I use Mcafee for virus protection, also I have Mcafee Firewall. If I switched to AVG Free Edition, what would I use for a firewall?

#5 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hi you can either use the firewall supplied by microsoft if you have sp2 instaled as well or you can download zonealarm which is free if any anytime you have trouble with avg another good free antivirus is avast that is free and it updates itself once you reg for key every day or night. i have been using it for 2 years, and so far no viruses, and no reinstalls.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:47 AM

The reason that McAffee disables itself is more than likely that one of the update downloads has become corrupted.

I use McAffee virusscan online on one of my machines and have experienced that myself. The cure was to delete the ap installed on your computer and then reinstall McAffee.

#7 kathirteen

kathirteen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=7][COLOR=blue][B]
HI! I'm new to the forum and have lots of questions! I saw "McAfee" and I have a question about that topic too. I removed McAfee from my computer, but I still see it listed in my "Services" How can I delete that? I also took something else out, but still see an option to scan things with it when I right click anything.
Thanks in advance!
Kath

#8 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:59 PM

kathirteen:

You should create a new topic with your question. This will avoid confusion with this topic.

We look forward to answering your question under a new topic.

Thanks, kathirteen.
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users