Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card compatibility

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cap2587

cap2587

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:22 PM

I recently purchased a new Video card to put into my Dell Power Edge 400SC PC. I should have checked the compatibility of this system with the card as the card doesn't fit. the card I bought was a NVidia Ge Force 8600GTS. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130394
it also came with a Sata cable connector. I think the power supply minimum for this card is 350W and my system is only 250 Watts. Below is some information on my Dell P.Edge 400SC. Could someone fill me in on some basics with Video card compatibilty and tell me some cards that may work with my system. It's an old computer, therefore not looking to spend much. Thanks.

What video card does the 400SC come with?

An ATI Rage XL 8MB PCI card, shown here.
edit
Does the 400SC have an AGP slot?

Of course! (The AGP slot is, however, not supported by Dell.) Picture here and diagram here. The AGP socket is keyed for universal 0.8v AGP cards that comply with the AGP 3.0 specification or 1.5v AGP cards that comply with the AGP 2.0 specification. The AGP connector supports 8x, 4x AGP 3.0 add-in cards operating at 0.8v, or AGP 2.0 add-in cards operating at 1.5V. There is no support for AGP 2x operation or legacy 3.3V AGP cards.
edit
Does the 400SC support 8x AGP cards?

Yes. I've personally tested 2 8x AGP cards in the 400SC. The Intel 875P (Canterwood) chipset specifically touts 8x AGP as a feature. There have also been numerous other reports that it works.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:30 PM

You posted a pci express x16 slot for that card. Your computer has an AGP slot however, so you can't use a pci express x16 card.

What are you planning on doing with the system that you need a new card for? If you plan on gaming, it's almost pointless to bother with the older agp slot, as the cards cost more, for less power, and you may need a new power supply. Also, your processor is most likely going to bottleneck performance of the card.

If you do want to still upgrade it though, I wouldn't go less than the ATI 3650. The ATI 3850 is the best AGP card though. I wouldn't expect to play the latest and greatest games very well though, you'll have to stick with games a few years old.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 cap2587

cap2587
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:18 PM

Thanks for clarifying my Video card dilemma. Basically there is some kind of weird lag going on with my screen. Not as clear or quick as my other desktops. it's like the cursor drags and everything is a bit choppy. I did upgrade from Windows Server 2002 to windows XP. I have a 2 GHZ Processor and 1 GB of RAM. Was I suppose to download some special drivers after installing XP. I am not looking to do any gaming. I just though upgrading the Video Card may improve the lag problem. Can you tell me if this Card is compatible with my system http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130210

I think it does according to your advice in the previous post. I know this is a pretty cheap card, but doesn't make sense to spend much money on upgrading my system. Will I notice any difference, is it worthwhile? Thanks.

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

Go to the Dell web site & download the newest video driver for you model with XP & install it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users