Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 synth

synth

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:45 PM

I need to get a new computer to replace my Sony VAIO Desktop. I use this as my main business computer and I need something very reliable. I am a power user who works in various media development fields. I need a machine that can easily hand everything from Graphics Video editing to audio production, Website design and management and still be able to run word processing, email, Excel and have 6 different browser windows open.
Most of the major pre-builts I see donít' seem to have the power specs I would want and the model that do are by manufacturers I have no knowledge of or experience with.
I am also unsure as to whether or not quad core is the way to go as it does not seem most apps I work with except Photoshop or Premiere takes advantage of it. Same with multi-threading.
Some things I know I need
3 gigs+ RAM
300gig+ Hard Drive
A great graphics card capable of handling 2-3 monitors
Multiple firewire and USB connections
RCA Audio ports (In and Out if possible)
DVD RW
DVD ROM
I would prefer a pre-built machine rather than building it myself.
Any suggestions and help is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:50 PM

<<Most of the major pre-builts I see donít' seem to have the power specs I would want...>>

I guess that I would question that conclusion.

From what you listed, it appears that you really only have two mundane requirements (these days): 4GB of RAM (if you are running 32-bit XP) and 1 or 2 hard drives for storage.

If you look at the recommended system requirements for any of the apps/tasks that you mentioned, I think that you will see that.

Louis

#3 synth

synth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 07:42 PM

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately, recommended specs on a box and real word results vary widely. I am not sure if you do any heavy graphics or video editing, but running a single core 2.8Gig processor with 2 gigs of RAM which exceeds the box requirements of an NLE Adobe Premiere can become a hellish nightmare when trying to render out an hour of text and effect layers.
Hence my question.
For real world production needs of not only single process wants but multi-tasking heavy processes as well as day to day applications all at once, do you have any recommendations?
Thanks in advance for any information.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 20 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

I do video editing all the time...have been doing such for about 5-7 years now on varying systems that do not meet the specs of today's systems designed for new customers.

I don't use Adobe products...but I do use Ulead PhotoImpact, Pinnacle 12, Ulead Video Studio 10 and Windows Movie Maker routinely.

Adobe has plenty of user forums...I suggest that you see what the frequenters of such are using for their productivity, as a basis for formulating what works well.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users