Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clean Boot - Black Screen - Genuine Validation

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 grapecrush

grapecrush

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:43 PM

I did a clean boot on my computer a few weeks ago to diagnose a problem (or so I thought) and when I rebooted it, the desktop went black with a message saying that my copy of Windows didn't pass genuine validation. I bought the computer new from a computer store in June 2008, but never received a Windows XP disk with it. (I never thought to ask for one at the time.) I have the 25 digit product key, but Microsoft is asking for $199 to validate my XP copy. I'm sick of seeing this black screen on the desktop. I paid good money for this computer and I thought I was a legal user of XP, since it came installed on my computer when I bought it, but now I'm pissed. When I e-mailed the company's tech support, they told me it wasn't their problem and to contact Microsoft. Ant suggestions to get my computer back to normal? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

If Microsoft is telling you that the key is invalid...and that's the key which came with the system...it seems that you need to work it out with them.

Validation is their business, not ours. You have a license key, they say it's not valid...seems that some discussion should ensue.

In such instances, it might be helpful if you have the details of your expenditure for the system.

Louis

#3 RunningJumper

RunningJumper

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

You can get XP Home from newegg dot com for $89. It sucks that you may have to purchase another license! Have you tried reinstalling it? Did the install disk get used on more than one computer? Home licensing is usually good for one machine only.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 24 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hi grapecrush,

What is the name of the company you bought your new computer from which sold you a copy of Windows that doesn't have a valid key? What kind of computer was it? Did they build it themselves? What does it say in your warranty about the computer? Did it say it comes with installed software? Did Microsoft tell you if there's anything you did which could have caused the computer not to recognize the key? Or did Microsoft indicate that that key had never been validated in the first place? Had you been getting Windows Updates since you bought your computer?

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users