Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC plagued by plethora of puzzling problems (pursuing panacea)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 creighs

creighs

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

Hi all,

Yes, it looks like a long post, BUT think carefully for a minute before moving on - lots of detailed info = potentially easier problem to solve...right? And if that attempt didn't work on you...I can pay you back in sexual favours??? (Just kidding)...

I've tried to resolve my problems without posting on this board, however I think it's time that I did - I don't want to get in over my head and permanently mess up my machine due to n00b-ness. So...

The problem: I'm pretty sure I have some form of malware (or possibly several working in tandem) on my system.

Signs & symptoms:
-slow startup and slow everything else (of course, right?)
- a windows explorer window pops up every time my system starts (which I'm assuming might suggest an autorun problem)
- suspicious files and hidden files. E.g. Windows/system32 folder does not show up even after setting folder options to display hidden files
- many instances of hidden .ini files in folders
- entire system volume information folder has questionable files all over the place (e.g. .txt files containing w o r d s s p a c e d o n e l e t t e r a p a r t and also random characters from different language)
- filesnames turn from black to blue after a certain period of time from creation (regardless of the file type or location)
- misplaced/random folders and folders which contain nothing (E.g. $AVG8.VAULT$)
- typing "msconfig" in the run box give me the message: "Windows cannot find 'msconfig' ..."
- clicking on Help & Support (in the startup menu) gives me this message "Windows cannot find 'helpctr'..."

Scans:
- I've run a bunch of scans over the past week or two (the online scans will be dated by now however)
- AVG free, Trend Micro online, panda active scan, kaspersky, f-secure, spybot SD, Ad-aware (all scans seem to take an unreasonably long time to finish (3+ hours)
- unless otherwise noted (see below), scans came back clear

- Panda active scan detected: adware/cydoor (c:\windows\system32\cd_clint.dll) & Application/BrilliantDigital HackTools (C:\Program Files\Messenger\Kazaa\bdcore.dll) C:\Program Files\Messenger\Kazaa\kazaa.exe

- F-secure detects: quick scan = nothing, full system = detects over 4000 files, but see next point...
- also, every time it DOES complete and I click clean files, the system hangs or does not respond

- Kaspersky online: C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP577\A0065255.exe Infected: not-a-virus:AdTool.Win32.MyWebSearch.br
- I used the Sophos conficker removal tool a while ago and it did not detect conficker

Other information:
- potentially infected via usb autorun stuff (if true, then I also have another infected usb key, an ipod, my laptop, and my network) :trumpet:
- I tend to be pretty good about keeping my computer up to date (windows auto updates)
- however I have recently had install problems with .Net Framework 3.5 and IE 8 (with repeated attempts)
- I usually scan my full system once a week
- I've had my computer for 8 years and have never formatted or backed it up
- I use Firefox & I rarely ever get popups & my homepage (set to blank) has not been hijacked
- I engage in P2P file sharing :thumbsup:
- error reporting was turned off (I turned it back on again; after restart it remains on yay!)
- system restore was still turned on
- windows firewall was still turned on
- remote whatevers is turned off (I think)
- I used comand line "netstat -b" to check out ports and a few of them were quite high (although, to be honest, I really didn't have a grasp of what I was looking at)
- I possibly have more internet traffic these days (although I've never closely kept an eye on it before so I might just be paranoid)
- my router is password protected (secure password too), I use WEP, and I have SSID broadcast off
- *update* I've now disconnected myself from my wireless network and unplugged my router, so I'll have to set all of that up again...for the time being I'm using a *ahem* different wireless connection :flowers:

My Diagnosis:
- autorun malware (Conficker perhaps)
- Vundo
- Cydoor (as suggested by Panda); Look2me or one of its variants

Prognosis:
- in the absence of professional help (i.e. one of you kind people) not good

My instincts tell me something is here; perhaps its just not as conspicuous because I try to be careful in my computing practices? Please let me know what other information I can give that will be helpful. Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you to anyone who can help me sort through this - I am eternally grateful!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:24 PM

That's quite a selection of malware :thumbsup:

Install Vundofix from http://www.atribune.org/ccount/click.php?id=4
  • Double-click VundoFix.exe to run it.
  • When VundoFix opens, click the Scan for Vundo button.
  • Once it's done scanning, click the Remove Vundo button.
  • You will receive a prompt asking if you want to remove the files, click YES
  • Once you click yes, your desktop will go blank as it starts removing Vundo.
  • When completed, it will prompt that it will reboot your computer, click OK.
Note: It is possible that VundoFix encountered a file it could not remove.
In this case, VundoFix will attempt run on reboot, simply follow the above instructions starting from "Click
the Scan for Vundo button." when VundoFix appears at reboot.

Download and Run FlashDisinfector

You may have a flash drive infection. These worms travel through your portable drives. If they have been connected to other machines, they may now be infected.
Please download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives including your mobile phone. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder. It will help protect your drives from future infection.

Some types of malware will disable MBAM and other security tools. If MBAM will not install, try renaming it.

• Before saving any of your security programs, rename them first. For example, before you save Malwarebytes', rename it to something like MBblah.exe and then click on Save and save it to your desktop. Same thing after you install it. Before running it, rename the main executable file first

Right-click on the mbam-setup.exe file and change the .exe extension to .bat, .com, .pif, or .scr and then double-click on it to run.

If after installation, MBAM will not run, open the Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder in Program Files, right-click on mbam.exe and change the .exe as noted above. Then double-click on it to run..
  • Another work around is by not using the mouse to install it, Just use the arrow keys, tab, and enter keys.

~ Courtesy of boopme

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here or here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes, they may alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please permit the program to allow the changes.

Please include the following in your reply:
MBAM log

#3 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:33 PM

Hey! Thanks for helping me out!

Ran the VundoFix and it came back clear. Downloaded flash_disinfector.exe and Ad-Aware's Ad-Watch Live Realtime Protection blocks me from opening it, detecting it as "Malware family: Win32.Worm.Agent" Have you or anyone else had this happen? I just want to make 100% sure it's okay to run (better safe than sorry, right?). I'll run MBAM after using flash_disinfector and post the log. I have a log file saved from my most recent AVG command line scanner if viewing that would help at all? No infections found; just lists the files that weren't scanned because they were locked. Are there any online scanners I should run in addition to MBAM, or just leave it at that for now?

Thanks again!

#4 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 12:36 PM

Hi xblindx,

I've run flash_disinfector.exe for my devices and have rebooted the comp. Formatted my 2 usbs and ran flash_disinfector.exe again (and rebooted). Installed and ran MBAM Quick Scan (included below). It found 88 infected files!! It's strange that so many other anti-malware programs didn't come up with much. Almost all of the 88 files required deletion on reboot. Rebooting took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. - long wait time before initial windows xp splash screen; sign in to account was fine but then while waiting for the desktop screen to load I was stuck with a black screen (with the occasional hourglass icon) for a good 10 minutes before I tried pressing cntrl+alt+delete - which may have been responsible for getting me out of the black screen and allowed me to continue with loading my startup programs. Should I be concerned by this behaviour?

One other question: Right now I'm borrowing someone elses unsecured wireless connection so I don't have to risk messing up my network (since both my laptop and my desktop are troublesome I have to use the internet from one of these machines) - should I set up my own wifi (router, secure connection, etc) again and just troubleshoot using my own internet connection? I also have a wired connection I can use on my desktop pc.

Here's the MBAM log & let me know if I should run a full scan now. Thanks again so very much - I really appreciate your help!!!

********************************************************************************************************
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2158
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

20/05/2009 12:34:53 PM
mbam-log-2009-05-20 (12-34-53).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 100861
Time elapsed: 24 minute(s), 24 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 88

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\uninstall.exe (Adware.BHO) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\pp2.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\password_viewer.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poqokeviqu.scr (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pif\did.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\portsv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\SYSTEM\foroutandof.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\popo.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\OhAjfOhw401.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp06.exe (Worm.Koobface) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo1.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo2.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo3.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo4.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo5.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo6.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif1.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif2.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif3.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\secdrive.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\VTkMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\PrdMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pctdf.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\VTskMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\svchost.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp1.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\present (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp04.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olehelp.exe (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pusirer.vbs (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ptshell.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Packet.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\omuw.sys (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\lsass.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\prxhwgg.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\os1zn2mO7Z.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\osqznsmOkZ.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pxwma.dll (Adware.WebDir) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oprevmqp.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pctools.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\opened.ico (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\paths.jpg (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\prgrsbar.gif (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pwnbho.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ofbl.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ogxtsepr.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\OFLink.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oflink.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\OFLink.js (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ofpds.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oggview32.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poswin.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmspl.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\orgnavi.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmsoarbf.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\omlbpkaw.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ps16sys.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ps32sys.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl16a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl32a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl64a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pebgkxwq.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olgdqarf.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\peltodgx.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\onfwbsak.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pvnsmfor.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oddogy.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pxgdslro.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pntqkflv.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pdoskegl.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olnmraew.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\okmdepgb.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmkret.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\optnet.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ponto.DLL (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poolsv.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pbar.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pbsysie.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pandsf.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promofreesoft.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pluscri.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp03.exe (Worm.Koobface) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Plakafaripecil.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Prints.exe (Backdoor.Hupigon) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\Global.exe (Worm.AutoRun) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpHost.com (Worm.AutoRun) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\projv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\projv.cfg (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
******************************************************************************************************

#5 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

Unfortunately, I have to warn you of something.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections was a backdoor Trojan. Backdoor Trojans, IRCBots and Infostealers are very dangerous because they provide a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information like passwords, personal and financial data which they send back to the hacker. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge. Read Danger: Remote Access Trojans.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. If using a router, you need to reset it with a strong logon/password so the malware cannot gain control again. and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the infection was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because this malware has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Rebooting took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. - long wait time before initial windows xp splash screen; sign in to account was fine but then while waiting for the desktop screen to load I was stuck with a black screen (with the occasional hourglass icon) for a good 10 minutes before I tried pressing cntrl+alt+delete - which may have been responsible for getting me out of the black screen and allowed me to continue with loading my startup programs. Should I be concerned by this behaviour?

Rebooting takes longer because it is removing the files during the rebooting stage. It is normal (I've run MBAM on friends' computers and have had the same problem with the desktop taking a while to show up) but its normal.

I would advise you to reformat because of the extent of the infection. We can however, try and clean it here.

Please download DrWeb-CureIt and save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.

Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Scan with Dr.Web CureIt as follows:
  • Double-click on drweb-cureit.exe to start the program.
  • Cancel any prompts to download the latest CureIt version and click Start.
  • At the prompt to "Start scan now", click Ok. Allow the setup.exe/driver to load if asked by any of your security programs.
  • The Express scan will automatically begin.
    (This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
  • If prompted to download the Full version Free Trial, just ignore and click the X to close the window.
  • If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
  • When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
    (This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
  • Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
  • In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
  • Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
  • When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
  • Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
  • In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
  • Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
  • Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
  • Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
  • After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)

#6 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 09:57 PM

Here's the log from the scan - It looks incomplete?

A0065255.exe\data028;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP577\A0065255.exe;Adware.MyWay;;
A0065255.exe;C:\System Volume Information\_restore{11B4CBB0-31B0-483C-A4FE-D6E9E8C1A928}\RP577;Archive contains infected objects;Moved.;

This is the only thing that was found - nothing else that MBAM reported was in here. Any idea why MBAM registers a ton of malware but nothing else does?

Also, if that flash_disinfector.exe program malware??? Because Ad Aware AE identifies it as a trojan (see one of my above posts) and Panda Active Scan and some other site I looked it up on identifies it as a rather nasty piece of malware called

http://www.threatexpert.com/files/flash_disinfector.exe.html
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/S...px?query=nircmd
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/E...BAT%2fDownsys.A

Let me know what I should do now. HJT? I would rather not format my comp since it's super old. If I burn my documents, mp3s, pics, etc to dvd media will inserting that dvd into another system just infect that system as well?

Thanks again for your help.

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 06:53 AM

Flash disinfector is flagged by some companies as malware because of the way in which it runs. All tools provided here at BC are clean :thumbsup:

Pictures, Movies, music and word documents are safe to transfer over to another machine.

Regarding the results of the DrWeb scan, it doesn't pick up what MBAM picks up because MBAM deletes what it finds :flowers: The 2 things found by DrWeb are in your system restore folder.

Please Update MBAM and run a Full scan and post the log.

#8 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

MBAM still finds 87 infected files (I'm assuming they're the same ones found in the previous scan). Should I reboot into safe mode and then run MBAM? Or, since I've been on the internet from this same machine, run it in normal mode (with the network connection disabled) then let it do its thing, then reboot into safe and scan using MBAM again? Is there any reason for why no other programs seem to pick up anything (or not very much)? False positives from MBAM mayhap? *fingers crossed* :thumbsup:

What should I do with the Dr.CureIt file(s) that was/were quarantined? Also, rather than using someone's random wireless connection, would it be a better idea if I set up my wired network again? How would I do that in a way that makes sure I don't somehow still give off a wireless signal that someone could use? Last question: are .pdf files safe as well? I've recently heard that they're apparently dangerous security-wise, and I download a TON of .pdfs for school.

Here's the log:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.36
Database version: 2166
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

22/05/2009 11:21:43 AM
mbam-log-2009-05-22 (11-21-43).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (A:\|C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 201300
Time elapsed: 1 hour(s), 53 minute(s), 23 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 87

Memory Processes Infected:

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\OFLink.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\OFLink.js (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\OhAjfOhw401.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\VTskMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Packet.dll (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Plakafaripecil.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\PrdMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\Prints.exe (Backdoor.Hupigon) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oddogy.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ofbl.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oflink.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ofpds.ini (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oggview32.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ogxtsepr.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\okmdepgb.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olehelp.exe (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olgdqarf.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\olnmraew.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\omlbpkaw.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\omuw.sys (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\onfwbsak.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\opened.ico (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\oprevmqp.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\optnet.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\orgnavi.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\os1zn2mO7Z.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\osqznsmOkZ.dll (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pandsf.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\password_viewer.exe (Spyware.Passwords) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\paths.jpg (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pbar.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pbsysie.dll (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\Global.exe (Worm.AutoRun) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\SYSTEM\foroutandof.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\HelpHost.com (Worm.AutoRun) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\VTkMgr.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\lsass.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\secdrive.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\svchost.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pctdf.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pctools.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pdoskegl.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pebgkxwq.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\peltodgx.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pif\did.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pluscri.exe (Trojan.Downloader) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmkret.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmsoarbf.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pmspl.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pntqkflv.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl16a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl32a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\polowl64a.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ponto.DLL (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poolsv.exe (Heuristics.Reserved.Word.Exploit) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\popo.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poqokeviqu.scr (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\portsv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\poswin.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp03.exe (Worm.Koobface) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp04.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp06.exe (Worm.Koobface) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp1.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pp2.exe (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\present (Backdoor.Bot) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\prgrsbar.gif (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\projv.cfg (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\projv.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo1.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo2.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo3.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo4.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo5.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promo6.html (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promofreesoft.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif1.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif2.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\promogif3.gif (Malware.Trace) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\prxhwgg.exe (Trojan.Agent) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ps16sys.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ps32sys.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\ptshell.exe (Spyware.OnlineGames) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pusirer.vbs (Fake.Dropped.Malware) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pvnsmfor.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pwnbho.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pxgdslro.dll (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Delete on reboot.
C:\WINDOWS\pxwma.dll (Adware.WebDir) -> Delete on reboot.

#9 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:51 PM

Are you rebooting your machine DIRECTLY after the scan, or are you using your computer for a while, the rebooting? If it prompts you to reboot, do so IMMEDIATELY.

Disconnect from the internet, then run the scan 1 last time.

#10 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:05 PM

Yup, I generally tend to reboot by clicking on MBAM's box that appears when the scan is over and says some files will be deleted after boot. Procedure-wise, should I follow this sequence:

Disable wireless adapter > restart computer into normal mode > immediately run MBAM full scan > reboot the computer immediately after scan completes (again into normal mode).

If you could please verify, that would be great. Is there anything else I can try after this if it doesn't work?? Or am I skee-rewed?

#11 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 03:44 PM

What I am trying to find out, is if the infections are only present while connected to the internet, which is sometimes the case. If the scan asks for a reboot while not connected to the internet, please do so.

#12 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:40 AM

I'll try to post more later today, but here's a quick update on my situation - I a m f * * * k e d. After disabling my internet I ran a scan as usual and then rebooted my computer so the infected files it found could be deleted on reboot. Then it wouldn't load windows at all. Some message about a boot drive error, then another one about not being able to restore to the most recent because the image is corrupted; click on go to last good point (or something like that - I may be incorrect). When I clicked that it attempted to load windows but stopped and said that some dll file was missing and that I should reinstall it - I was able to bypass that screen by pressing enter, then it tries again to load but says C:\system/windows32/config settings (that may not be the exact syntax, I'll have to check) is either missing or corrupted, You can try reinstalling a copy of it by using the original XP system CD that came with your computer. I turned off my computer and restarted it - same thing happens, only from the C:\system etc part. I tried booting to safe mode once but that didn't work either - same error. I'm not sure if this has to do with the problem (I don't see why it should really), but when I rebooted I only went to the logon screen - I didn't actually sign in (I had to leave my place to go somewhere).

I am seriously freaking out here. Only a few of my files are backed up to DVD (all music, none of my school documents -sh*t!!!). Am I hugely screwed now? Do I have to reformat for sure now? laskdjfoasidnclaknvlkdjoawieurldaksjfalsdkjf = frustrated and pissed off.

If I do have to format, I'll need someone to help me through the process. Right now I'm working from my laptop over the same wireless internet I was leeching on my desktop computer. This computer is almost certainly infected as well - so I don't really have a clean system or internet connection to work from. I might be able to use my friend's mac book (which would be good right? They don't get viruses etc all that often????).

Is it possible that my machine was hugely hacked and someone noticed that I was snooping around trying to sort things out and then they decided "Well screw you, now I'm going to permanently crash/demolish your system/make you hate your life???

I guess I've actually said everything I was going to say; nothing else to report really. This is balls. I hate my life (just kidding). Is there anything I can do??? I'm probably going to need help from a couple of forum experts/people to get through this *sigh* Regardless of whether or not I have to format. Thanks to anyone who can help me out here (PS: xblindx - I'm not implying you're not helpful; please don't think that. I appreciate your help so much!)

S.

#13 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:43 AM

Correction to the above: When I say I only rebooted but didn't log on, I'm talking about from the first time (immediately after the MBAM scan). I wasn't exactly clear with that sentence. Sorry.

#14 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:08 AM

Do you have an original Windows XP disk?

#15 creighs

creighs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:26 AM

Yes, I should have all of my cds for any apps and for windows drivers etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users