Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

TIMING OUT ON HOP 1

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Bub12

Bub12

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Hi,

Noticed some site hanging while loading in FF. Long story short, ran a trace to multiple sites (tracert from command prompt) and discovered a "time out" at the 1st hop. If I have my router connected, the time out is after the router on the 2nd hop. I always get to my destination url though. So, I had the ISP come & change modem and that didn't solve the time out problem. ISP tech connected to neighbors computer connection & received the same time out on hop 1. So, the problem seems to be a result of something other than my computer, modem, etc. I have a family member with the same ISP in a different town and I ran the same trace from their computer & did not receive a time out at all.

I just began noticing some site loading hangs last week which is what caused me to start digging. Not sure if the intermittent "transferring data" hangs are related to this "timing out" issue. BTW, I seem to notice the hanging from FF, not IE. Maybe that's just because I use FF more :thumbsup:

Anyway, the cable company has no idea at this point as to why this timing out is occurring & I don't have a lot of faith that they ever will. The tech that was here told me that the problem was not related to the ISP & that it was not his problem. Only after I kept him here continuing to attempt to solve the problem did he learn that the problem was not only being experienced by me & that it does in fact seem to be ISP related. Can anyone shed some light on this for me as I do not fully understand what's happening either. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users