Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Game Websites that can be trusted?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 loraamore

loraamore

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:39 PM

I really like Big Fish Games and Gamehouse but my kids are convinced that is where I am getting my trojan virus' and other computer uglies. Does anyone know if this could be true? What gaming websites do you trust?
Thanks,
Lora

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 t3s

t3s

• Members
  • 628 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:55 PM

http://siteadvisor.it/sites/bigfishgames.com

http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/gamehouse.com/summary/

I would recomend downloading the toolbar. When ever you see it turn red that means stay away. :thumbsup:

“Technology does not drive change -- it enables change.”
-Unknown

"I'm a cannibal... I eat Crackers"

Hacker != Cracker

website is down until further notice. . . . 

#3 Lucas Edogawa

Lucas Edogawa

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Well, I usually go to www.crazymonkeygames.com and www.mofunzone.com for online games whenever I'm bored.

I don't see any problem with these two websites, so I'm pretty sure they are safe. :thumbsup:
I really can't think of a signature.... wait this is a signature!

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:27 PM

Hi Lora,

Personally I surf the web with the mindset that any site I visit could potentially contain malware (with the exception of Bleeping Computer of course :thumbsup: ). Popular sites like social networking and online gaming are always a big draw for malware writers. Because of the large numbers of people that visit them, it increases their chances of infecting a higher percentage of computers.

In you are frequently getting infected, I would look at maybe adjusting your security software setup.

Make sure:
You have one Firewall and it is turned on.
You have one Antivirus and it is turned on and up to date.
You have Antispyware and it is turned on and up to date.
Your system has all the latest Microsoft security updates for it installed.

Use a Standard/Limited Account for your everyday computer use.

Run a online scan with Secunia once a week to check your most vulnerable programs are up to date.

Maybe install something like WOT on your Browser, which will display a websites safety rating.

Have a look at the links below (some of the info may be a little out of date but the general content contains excellent advice:
How did I get infected?
Best Practices - Internet Safety For 2008
Suggested Safe Practices

If you are fairly well experienced with computers, adding a program like Sandboxie or Returnil will provide excellent protection against malware.

Take care and surf safely,

Edited by RedDawn, 19 May 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#5 loraamore

loraamore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:01 PM

Perfect! Thank you for the tips! :-)

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:51 PM

BigFish.com is suppose to be a trusted site and I doubt you will ever have any trouble from playing there

I like games.com. I believe it is an AOL game site but you do not have to be on AOL to use it and if it asks you to sign in, just check the box to play as guest.

Shockwave.com, Games.Yahoo.com and Zone.Msn.com are also trusted sites that I have been to a lot in the past, same with Popcap.com. However some of the games on Popcap and maybe even Shockwave that you download from there might be flagged as adware because of their game loaders but they are really not malicious programs, probably best to just play the games online though. Although I have purchased a game or two from Popcap and Zhockwave in years past and there was nothing wrong with them.

Edited by Stang777, 20 May 2009 - 12:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users