Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE 6.0 - typing URL at address bar causes SLOW response

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cypriiva

cypriiva

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:46 PM

Hello all. Hoping someone's seen this or has an idea. I've done plenty of Google searches, but I'm striking out so far...

I have a fast (DSL-speed wireless) connection that is functioning fine in all areas but one. If I enter a URL in IE on the address line, there is a "hang" that results in a delay before going to the website. The delay isn't minor; it's typically 1 to 3 minutes. From that point forward, everything, including subpages, loads fast (as expected).

But that's the only case I've found where this slowness occurs. If I choose an item from my "links" bar, or from my "Favorites", I get immediate response. Another example to further explain. If I go to "Walgreens.com" by typing "http://www.walgreens.com" at the URL address bar, I get the bad delay. But if I do a Google search for "walgreens", and select the first response from Google (i.e., I go to that same address), it's a fast (as expected) response. So it's definitely tied to the Address bar.

I've been running XP Home SP1. The problem just started about two weeks ago, and I had been slow about upgrading to SP2. My computer sits behind a hardware firewall, has regularly updated NAV running on it, and I've run Ad-Aware, SpyBot, and some other similar program (with no problems found). I've also upgraded to XP Home SP2, but the problem persists. The help screen in IE tells me I'm running IE version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519.

I'm looking for thoughts about what this might be, and more to the point, suggestings on how to fix the problem. Yes, I've tried things like clearing the history and cache...

Help? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jim Pivonka

Jim Pivonka

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:20 PM

Did you ever get a response on this, or a solution? I have seen similar problems, but not a discussion of what causes them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users