Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Tracking the Heat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Knowalil

Knowalil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:33 PM

I just finished building my new PC and even though I can build one, there is a great deal I don't know. I'm concerned about heat build-up inside the case and am looking for a way of keeping tabs on specific temps; i.e., CPU and video card. I did locate a software program called Core Temp that is supposed to provide this type of information but I'd like to find out if anyone has used this or maybe there is a better method that I'm not aware of. There could even be a built in program that came with the MOBO and I just don't know about it. Here's my specs:

Antec Super Lanboy case
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7
6 GB RAM
GeForce GTX 260 OC Maxcore
HD 1 TB Seagate Barracuda

The case has two fans that I've not upgraded yet. I intend on either upgrading the rear fan to one of those "super suckers" (my phrase), installing an internal fan, or maybe both. It depends on what temperatures I'm hitting. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

I use Core Temp on five systems.
I like it, and it also shows actual measurements I've taken with a "stick".

There may be better. I'd like to know of such.

//Edit: I should have noted I also use a free program called SWI to monitor temps and other items.
http://www.gtopala.com/
I only see a degree or two of temp difference from the Core Temp.
All of my systems are now VISTA.

Edited by KoanYorel, 19 May 2009 - 03:04 PM.

The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:06 PM

I don't personally use such software, but one I come across quite a lot is SpeedFan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users