Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

sound card trouble

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fmacy1

fmacy1

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 06:31 PM

ok by now i am very frusterated. i typed out my whole thing on here and my computer froze so now i have to start all over!!! :thumbsup: anyway, ok i have a win98 gateway laptop. i am not sure if i have a sound card or not and if i do something is wrong. i can hear some sounds like when i sign on to aol i hear it dial, and that noise thing you know? well pretty much everything else like windows sounds, media player, cd's and games do not have any sound. and when i click on multimedia in control panel, everything is all light colored, like disabled or whatever. what can i do? please help!! ~ Lindsey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:35 PM

:thumbsup: , fmacy1:

Okay, for us to help you, we need a little more information.

What is the exact make and model of your laptop?

The sound that you hear when dialing into AOL is most likely the speaker on your modem.

Anyways, post back and we can help you further.
JC

#3 fmacy1

fmacy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:05 AM

ok i dont know THAT much about computers so i hope this is what you need, my computer is a Gateway Solo 2500. and also i thought of another sound that does work, i got a imfree which is a portable instant messenger and i installed that software and there was a program that lets you pick the sounds you want it to play and i can hear those sounds. this computer used to have sound, but then something happened to it and i had my uncle take it to fix it. when he brought it back, there was no sound so thats when this started. i hope this is enough info!

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:05 PM

I would assume that you checked to see that nothing is muted in your sound properties and your sound is turn up all the way.

You should go into device manager to see if there are any problems.

To get into Device manager you need to do this:

1. Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
2. Double-click the System icon.
3. Click the Device Manager tab.

Do you see any ! in the device manager?
You should be able to see the sound/multimedia settings in there.
What is listed under the sound icons. Drill down as far as you can to get detailed information.

I also found a link to a driver that I believe is for your computer:

Gateway Driver

Instructions here:
Instructions
JC

#5 fmacy1

fmacy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 01:45 PM

yeah i've tried that - going to the device manager but there is'nt any sound/multimedia catagory! this really confuses me! so now i guess i'll try your link.

#6 fmacy1

fmacy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:29 PM

ok i am making progress! :thumbsup: ok i got the neomagic thing downloaded then i deleted both unknown devices and then refreshed it and it found 2 more you know so the first one worked and found the neomagic thing but on the second one i couldnt locate a driver. so anyway i just decided to cancel. then i went to control panel and sounds and i could actually press the play button this time but then i get the error message : "Windows cannot play the file. it may be damaged or is not a valid sound file" so what can i do next? and also thanks so much for helping me! at least something is happening now! :flowers:

ps OMIGOSH!! :trumpet: ok it will play CD's now too! :inlove:

Edited by fmacy1, 27 June 2005 - 02:34 PM.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

Have you rebooted? Try a few different sounds. Try an audio CD .
JC

#8 marmaluke

marmaluke

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

this is completely random and irrelevant, but no1 replied 2 the thread i made nd this is kinda urgent...

It said...

I have an nvidia 6800 and my son has an x800se. My uses for the graphics card are photo manipulation and he mainly plays games with his. He has asked to swap cards. If i were to go ahead with this, for the purposes of processing of photos and basic manipulation, would i notice any significant differance in the performance of my computer? Thanks in advance

#9 fmacy1

fmacy1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

hey! i just wanted to thank the joshua guy for helping me! everything is working now!!! thank you sooo much!! :thumbsup:

#10 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

marmaluke: I am not sure what you are talking about here.
You should create a new topic so you can get a proper response.

fmacy1: Great!! Thanks for posting back. :thumbsup:
JC

#11 marmaluke

marmaluke

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

I have already....

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=22888&hl=

If you could help i would greatly appreciate it