Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is apparently being scanned - high CPU usage/memory usage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 renegadia

renegadia

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

Hi all, hope you can help.

Every so often, when listening to online radio streams/playing games etc my computer just goes crazy. I get a lot of hard drive 'chatter' and lots of fan noise and everything slows to a crawl. My music will start jumping and skipping and there is a long delay between me clicking the mouse and the action happening. It happens when no other programs (for example, my AV/AS) are due to scan. When I look at my Task Manager the two biggest eaters of memory usage are fm.exe (game, it normally eats a load but makes no substantial difference to the comp speed) and ekrn.exe (something to do with my AV, not quite sure what it actually does though)

I am running Windows MCE SP3 and am using NOD32 anti-virus and Sunbelt CounterSpy anti-spyware. The definitions on both are updated daily and both scan daily. I have also defragged the comp and do so weekly. The other programs I use are CCleaner and Glary Utilities, both fairly regularly to clean up my comp when I was working as an internet researcher, but less often now.

I do not get any error messages/BSOD's or actual freezes. Everything just slows right down. Could I have picked up a form of malware/virus that my AV/AS isn't picking up? Could one of my previous spring cleans have been too aggressive? Or is it simply too much load for my comp (2 year old Dell)? It is 3MHz, 1G RAM, kinda your bog standard media comp from 2007.

Your thoughts and advice are greatly appreciated as it's starting to do my head in! Apologies is this is the wrong forum for the post also.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,939 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:32 AM

When you experience or encounter strange behavior, always check for new, unknown or suspicious processes in Task Manager.

Most of the processes in Task Manager will be legitimate as shown in these links.Anytime you come across a suspicious file or one that you do not recognize, search the name using Google or the following databases:Determining whether a file is malware or a legitimate process sometimes depends on the location (path) it is running from. One of the ways that malware tries to hide is to give itself the same name as a critical system file. However, it then places itself in a different location on your computer. Another techinique is for the process to alter the registry and add itself as a Startup program so that it can run automatically each time the computer is booted. A file's properties may give a clue to identifying it. Right-click on the file, choose Properties and examine the General and Version tabs.

Tools to investigate running processes and gather additional information to identify them and resolve problems:These tools will provide information about each process, CPU usage, file description and its path location If you right-click on a file and select properties, you will see more details.

If you cannot find any information, the file has a legitimate name but is not located where it is supposed to be, or you want a second opinion, submit it to Jotti's virusscan or VirusTotal. In the "File to upload & scan" box, browse to the location of the suspicious file and submit (upload) it for scanning/analysis.
-- Then post back with the results of the file analysis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users