Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE "has to close", random, bogus, Windows/system32 directories being created, system unstable

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Rich Fa

Rich Fa

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:54 AM

I was away on a 4 day river rafting trip and came back to this (can't be my kids, no, not them ;-):

I have XP Home Edition, Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600, it's been running fine for a while. The last thing that I did was update
.NET to whatever Miicrosoft Updates brought it to, which I believe was 3.5(?). Had a problem installing it, but finally got it done using
information from Microsoft's Problem Database.

During the steps that it took me to back off and reinstall, I received a BSOD, of course, I did not record that information. On reboot from
that BSOD, I got, what I thought was, a message saying that it had to restore from an earlier copy of some registry file in order to
complete the boot process and it was successful. However, on every successive re-boot or power on, that message appeared.

After searching for a way to to resolve that issue, I found that Tune Up Utilities 2009 would do it for me. I searched on this product to
make sure it wasn't a "BAD" program and found that, from what I could tell, it did do what it claimed. I installed it and, lo and behold, it
cleared the issue, along with a few others.

Then I went on the trip ... UGH, I come back and, when I start the computer it seems to take longer than usual, IE "has to close" a number
of times, too many in fact to make me believe that I am somehow infected! In poking around, I find numerous directories created on my system such as the following:

wifdows\system32
wijdows\system32

They were empty and easily delete-able. which I did. I ran a virus scan using MacAfee and it found nothing. Then I ran Malwarebytes and it
located two registry entries which I had it delete. I believe they were NotifyDisabled.securitycenter and NotifyDisabled.firewall or something very similar to that.

Everything seemed OK, for about an hour. Then the same thing started again, IE had to shutdown, I got a BSOD C000021A FATAL SYSTEM ERROR. I re-booted and, looking in C:\, I again find bogus windows directories, this time there are more:

wifdows\system32
wijdows\system32
window{\system32\drivers
windowC\system32
windoww\system32\drivebs

At this time, I did a quick search on the internet to see if anyone else has errant wifdows or wijdows directories. I found a few hits where the URLs ended in .aspx rather than something I could trust. So, I did NOT even click on them for fear that they would further infect my computer. At this time I said it was time to go to BleepingComputer!

If you can, please tell me what I need to do to help you hep me resolve this problem and will be very glad to oblige!

Thank you sooooo much!

Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users