Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacked IE gets fixed by changing the monitor?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shadowdance

Shadowdance

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:15 AM

A friend of mine experienced problem with their "iexplore.exe" - everytime she was opening an explorer window, the application was terminated anytime.

Then her monitor started to get dimmy and popping the menu/contrast adjustments.

She swapped her monitor with another one and then everything was fixed; the IE started acting normally without any malware/virus scans.

Can this happen?

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 500GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

I would say no, because changing a external hardware change, especially a monitor, is not able to cure/fix a virus.

Maybe it was a very, very lucky coicidence ;)

#3 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, that's what I ve thinked of...
It just very very very weird...

WIN 7 ULTIMATE EN, AMD Dual-Core A4-6320, 3.8GHz (Turbo 4GHz), MB: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. A55BM-E Rev X.0x, DDR3 SIN 1333 4GB, AMD Radeon HD 8370D, Realtek High Definition Audio,

#4 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:32 PM

If it was a lucky coicidence, maybe time to buy a lottery ticket :thumbsup:

#5 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 02:46 PM

You know what's the best part?
When she swapped to the old monitor again, no browser was working!!

#6 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

So faulty monitor = faulty browser?
And by faulty browser it means that it keeps crashing (ie. not responding, system crashes back to desktop, etc)?

If want to be sure, she can have some fun and switch back and forth between the two monitors for a few times, checking each time to see if IE works or not.

How a monitor can fix a malware infected browser is out of my league, but either way I would strongly recommend her checking to make sure her computer is malware free, whether IE works OK or not.

#7 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

And by faulty browser it means that it keeps crashing (ie. not responding, system crashes back to desktop, etc)?

If want to be sure, she can have some fun and switch back and forth between the two monitors for a few times, checking each time to see if IE works or not.

How a monitor can fix a malware infected browser is out of my league, but either way I would strongly recommend her checking to make sure her computer is malware free, whether IE works OK or not.

No no, faulty monitor=faulty monitor!

She said that her iexplore.exe was crashing; double click on big E, hang, crash - then she swapped the Monitor/Screen and it was running OK!

Funny thing is, we don't really believe that it's a malware even if we could suspect that... She did a scan and nothing found; yet Ican't think of anything else that could behave like that!

But its really really awkward...

#8 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

No no, faulty monitor=faulty monitor!

She said that her iexplore.exe was crashing; double click on big E, hang, crash - then she swapped the Monitor/Screen and it was running OK!

Funny thing is, we don't really believe that it's a malware even if we could suspect that... She did a scan and nothing found; yet Ican't think of anything else that could behave like that!

But its really really awkward...

Ya, that's what I meant. When I said faulty monitor = faulty browser, i meant "When you plug in the bad monitor, IE doesn't work, but when you plug in the new one its ok?"

What sizes are the two monitors? When you swap monitors does the screen resolution change?

#9 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

No no resolution changes...
Still its a sureal scene, I can't find ANY sane solution for that...!

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,302 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

This seems that the issue is monitor drivers. Changing the monitor causes different drivers to be activated. I would uninstall and reinstall the drivers from the 'original' monitor.

Also take a look in Event Viewer to see what may be happening.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#11 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 06:26 PM

This seems that the issue is monitor drivers. Changing the monitor causes different drivers to be activated. I would uninstall and reinstall the drivers from the 'original' monitor.

Also take a look in Event Viewer to see what may be happening.

Will do and update ;-)

#12 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 PM

Posted 25 May 2009 - 02:05 AM

two words: driver incompatibility. Its an incompatible or malfunctioning driver doing it. :D

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#13 Shadowdance

Shadowdance
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 314 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 10:16 AM

two words: driver incompatibility. Its an incompatible or malfunctioning driver doing it. :D

Yup it is. We fixed it!!!

THANK You all guys for helping!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users