Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! May have killed two computers.. Repetitive Beep of Death

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 grantjames

grantjames

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 03:11 AM

Fist off, general comp specs relevant:
HD: 320gb seagate (16mb)
AMD AM2 Athlong 64x2 dual core 6000 3ghz
2x DDR2 2gb corsair pc5300
Video card 8800GTS 320mb

My computer: When I turned the power on would not start and would not make any POST beeps. I tried removing the video card / RAM / checking all plugs were in properly.. nothing worked. I swapped some RAM into my computer from my brothers.. still didn't work - so I tried his HD (same model, 320gb Seagate) in mine.. and it started to make POST beeps, long and repetitive. I hooked my HD back up and it made the same noises.

Now before I touched my brothers computer, it was working perfect. The only parts I removed was the HD and the RAM. Now I ordered a new HD and new RAM - hooked them both up and his computer STILL makes the long continuous beeps.

Is it possible I killed his RAM / HD and that somehow killed something else??

I'm reluctant to keep fiddling around in case I cause more damage. I'd prefer to fix it myself as I'm now living in a more rural area and a) don't trust computer techs around here and :flowers: they would probably take weeks to work the problem out and charge me more than the cost of a new comp

I've read an extensive list of FAQ's and thought that on my computer, the power supply was faulty and killed my HD / possibly my RAM as well. I'm having difficulty hooking up my new power supply on my computer so I can't be sure that was the problem or not.

I'm pretty desperate for advice, I've read so many FAQ's I'm just confused now - and would really like to try to fix my brothers computer.. before he is back from overseas :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Evilmeeko

Evilmeeko

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

hmmm.. i would say first off to check cables for bent pins.. sounds like you may be getting a "short" or static electricity when you "fiddling around". did you wear a static guard on your wrist? did you at least release any static energy by touching the metal case.. many parts are very sensitive to this. you can EASILY fry RAM this way...

USB ports are popular to have bent pins in them.. look carefully. if anything is touching the metal housing, it would hurt your chances. This is just a start.. let me know

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Usually long beeps as you described are a "no memory" warning.

If the power supply was bad enough to kill the memory the motherboard is more then likely damaged.

Are these custom builds of brand name ?

If they are brand name what make/model ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users