Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Phenom II X3 720

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 soulshard

soulshard

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:03 AM

hello there cyberpower team. i currenty have this motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131011

i want to put in this processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819103649

this motherboard does not originally support this processor however i have found other forums where people say that they have gotten it to work like these

http://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cf...threadid=109221

http://www.xtremesystems.org/Forums/showthread.php?t=218637

i am wondering if i were to try and put this in, would it actually work? would i have to download new bios? what tweaks would i have to make? will the stock fine be good enough to cooother specs include

evga 8800gt
4gigs crucial ballistix ram (4 gigs has been known to cause problems with this so i would like some advice on this as well.
259 gig hdd
current processor is amd x2 5400

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:00 AM

Morning, the CPU you speak of has gotten great reviews. I am partial to Corsair brand or OCZ ram. I don't Overclock, just an HTPC nut, audiophile, or whatever, keeps me clam and in a good mood. I wish to obtain the very same CPU myself asap. Someone else will chime in soon to help you, I am not knowledgeable enough to proceed any further, AMD is my choice Forever! Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

#3 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:41 PM

thanks for the reply Al! i also wanted to add that i do not plan on overclocking anything

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 11:42 PM

That motherboard has an AM2 socket, and the phenom you are looking at is a AM3 CPU. Technically, I believe the pins will line up, and some motherboards will allow support from AM2 to AM3 with a BIOS upgrade, but Im not seeing that option available with your board. My best guess is, no you will not be able to, HOWEVER, I would recomend emailing ASUS customer support and asking them they would have a better idea. There is a chance that the CPU will work with it, but the motherboard only supports 1000 mhz FSB while the CPU is designed to run at 4000 mhz, and without a overclock, the low bus speed on the motherboard will severely bottleneck that CPU, as well as other things, that board was not designed to run at that high a bus speed, or handle more then 2 cores. I would say, I would not risk wasting the money on the CPU until you have a for sure it will work from someone from ASUS because the chances are against it.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#5 soulshard

soulshard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 02:02 PM

yea i have tried to email asus but have been unable to figure out how to contact them. i have looked high and low for an email address and phone number but cannot seem to find one. if anyone could give me a link to a page where i could find that information that would be great.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:08 PM

Technical Inquiry Form
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users