Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHERE DO I BEGIN?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nonna

nonna

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:05 PM

Hello to All who read and respond to this :flowers:

This forum and it's staff and members have helped me immensely over the last few days to fix my son's computer that was attacked by a very bad malware pop up (I think that was what it was called). Where all other forum/experts were telling me that the computer would have to be stripped and xp reinstalled this forum was able to help me without having to do such an extreme fix it.

I have now through this experience come to realise that I have some issues with my own computer. I have some questions that I am hoping people can help me with. I just thought that my computer was old (2003) but I think it is more than that. Here are some problems that I am experiencing.

I can't download - it's taking hours and hours and then the download fails.

The cursor is slow to move and control and sometimes I think it is moving itself.

I have AntiSuperSpyware and when I perform a scan, quarantine, reboot and delete the infections - I run the scan again and the same infections appear again, what am I doing wrong?

Can someone please tell me what does the Windows Installer Clean Up do? When I run this under the "Installed Products" heading there are a lot of programs such as Superantispyware included in that list am I supposed to remove them all?

Any help with any of this above would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers to All

Nonna
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 01:22 AM

Hello Boopme :flowers:

Thanks for responding and trying to help me, much appreciated.

This old girl (my computer) has been used a lot over the last 6 years and I would like to at least try to fix her before having to send her out to pasture lol.

Ok, managed to download MBAM and run scan.

When I clicked on remove I got a couple of error messages though of which I did a print screen for you to have a look at but I don't know how to attach them to this post. Also when I tried to access the log I got another error message as follows:

Windows Installer:
The patch could not be opened. Verify that the patch exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that it is a valid Windows Installer patch package.

I don't know if this helps you diagnose my problem or not but I need to tell you that I don't have Microsoft Office installed, I use Open Office instead.

Is she fixable boopme or beyond help.

Thanks for taking the time to help me, this grannie appreciates anything you can do to help me try to fix her.

Many thanks

Nonna

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:31 AM

Found your topic here but I am afraid I am not much help.

The problem with your mouse could be as simple as it needing the batteries changed.

You do not need to post screen shots of the logs, just when Malwarebytes or SuperAntiSpyware completes its scans, if you can get it to show you the logs, copy the logs it shows you and then paste them in a post here.

The Installer patch seems weird, I would reinstall the program and try again.

I do not know anything about the program you are using to show you the installed programs but at this point, I would not remove any of them.

Btw, personally, I do not consider your computer to be that old and there is no reason to even be considering sending it out to pasture. Both of my computers are older than that and are working fine.

#4 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:29 AM

Hi Stang777

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem and respond, believe me I am learning lots and lots.

I know its not the batteries in my mouse and keyboard, I have learnt that while I have this cordless keyboard and mouse I will never get into safe mode because the keyboard and mouse do not load until after startup has begun and if I am learning correctly you have to vigorously press F8 to get into safe mode before start up begins.

You may be able to help with this though where would I go to be able to reinstall Windows Installer? I wasn't trying to do a screenshot of the log I just couldn't get it at all because of that Windows Installer message. I think someone who has used my computer has somehow uninstalled or disabled Windows Installer, how to I get it back!

Thanks for the support I will keep working to try to get her back, I really am enjoying what I am learning in here and the responses from everyone are very quick considering the time zone difference.

Cheers for now

Nonna

Edited by nonna, 19 May 2009 - 05:30 AM.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:09 AM

You are very welcome and you can download the Windows Installer from Microsoft at this link.....

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Why is it you are trying to get into safe mode?

I am using a wireless keyboard and have no trouble getting into safe mode. You do have to hit the F8 key at the right time though, so keep tapping it until you see the Windows is loading screen just to make sure that it won't work.

As to the mouse problems, it could just be that the mouse is failing and you need another one. Before buying one, I would borrow one to find out, or just buy a cheap one until you know for sure that is the problem

Unless you do not have the Windows XP disk or disks for the programs that you want to use, formatting the hard drive and starting over with a fresh install of Windows is not really that extreme and is sometimes the best and simplest route to take. I am not suggesting that you are at the point of doing that, but just know that if it does come down to that, it is often the best route to take, especially when you have many seemingly unrelated problems and it can drastically improve the performance of your computer.

What brand is your computer?

One thing you might want to try with your mouse, now that you know about the triangular controller for it, is to look on that conroller for a button to push (they can sometimes be hard to see) and push it, that should start the lights on it to start blinking, then turn your mouse over and look for a small button on it and push it while the lights on the controller are flashing. That will reconnect your mouse and might help.

This is a little confusing talking to you in two different threads and since this thread is for clearing infections and I am not helping you with that, I think you and I should confine our conversations to the thread you have going in the XP forum.

Edited by Stang777, 19 May 2009 - 06:46 AM.

#6 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:50 AM

Hi Stang777

Ok now I might really be pushing the "friendship" :trumpet:

I really don't want to stuff this up so I need your help with this one. I don't know which Windows Installer to download. Is it possible for you to tell me which one? This is the system I have:

Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2003
Service Pack 3

I have an Intel Pentium, CPU 2.40 GHz, 2.41 GHz, 256MB of RAM - not that any of that means anything to me :inlove: :cool:

In response to your other suggestion I think I do have the disk for Windows XP Home Edition, I think that I got it in a folder from the store where I purchased the computer. It wouldn't be that hard to delete everything and reinstall? :thumbsup: Would the disk still be ok to use???

What do you think is best Stang777, to try to fix all of these issues or to just wipe it and start all over again?????

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Nonna

:flowers:

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 07:01 AM

You are not pushing anything but after this lets confine our conversation to the other thread.

The link I posted should take you to the right Windows Installer, the 3.1, but I did notice there is a newer one listed as well, either should work but you might want to hold off on installing it until Boopme comments on it.

You have a good system, way better than mine, however, if possible, you should get more ram installed. XP runs better with atleast 512 meg of ram. I am running 640 and even though my system runs great on that amount, most people here recommend people have more than that.

As to reformatting and reinstalling Windows, your disk should work fine to do that but you might want to wait and see if the other people here can fix you up without doing that. If it were me, I would wait and see but if there seems to be too much to do, I would reformat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users