Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Who's on my network and what are they doing?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 floyd

floyd

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

I use WIN XP with a satellite modem and a router for my wireless home network. My situation is this, I have a youngster that uses my network because he only has dial up at home. I let him do it, but his parents aren't real computer savvy as to what's available out there and that kind of bothers me.
I don't mind him using my signal and I don't want to secure it for that reason. They are the only nieghbors around so I don't worry about others using it either.
Is there a way that I can tell when he's on and if so is there as way I can tell where he's surfing so neither of us runs into trouble downloading music or other thing he shouldn't on my connection?
I'd just like to keep an eye on it. He's a real good kid, but a kid none the less. :thumbsup:
Thanks
Floyd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 theholycow

theholycow

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:37 PM

Yes it is possible to do this, however it is fairly complicated for the situation. There are two ways I can think of to do it, one is basically "hacking" and I do not personally know how to do it. The second involves networking your computers and giving yours privileges over his, which seems a little too involved. I do not know whether it would be worth it for you to do that. You may also check in the settings on your router, depending on the model of the router, it may have some built in parental control or monitoring settings. Usually you can change these settings by directing your browser to 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 (no www.) and logging in. Hope this helped

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 21 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Somewhere in your router might be a screen showing the devices connected - usually it would show MAC address.
Also somewhere there should be logs of in and out activity. So you can look at the source IP and if it isn't yours it's the other one. If the logs are any good, they should show the IP that computer connected to. You can then find what that IP is using http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php?ptype=free
or similar lookup sites
I think this is the simplest way to look without being too detailed about it, nor really invading the privacy too much.
Does your router have a user guide where you can look for things such as Administration, Logs, Connections, devices, MAC filterting ...?

Edited by tos226, 21 May 2009 - 08:43 PM.

#4 Geneva

Geneva

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 May 2009 - 03:57 PM

Somewhere in your router might be a screen showing the devices connected - usually it would show MAC address.
Also somewhere there should be logs of in and out activity. So you can look at the source IP and if it isn't yours it's the other one. If the logs are any good, they should show the IP that computer connected to. You can then find what that IP is using http://member.dnsstuff.com/pages/tools.php?ptype=free
or similar lookup sites
I think this is the simplest way to look without being too detailed about it, nor really invading the privacy too much.
Does your router have a user guide where you can look for things such as Administration, Logs, Connections, devices, MAC filterting ...?

your router probably has a configuration page. It normally can be accessed on line by starting IE then typing in the url box 192.168.2.1.
If you get there the first thing you will want to do is password protect all the data. Second set up WPA-2 PSK security and put in a long 63 character mixed up password and print it so it is not forgotten. Third your router probably has a name like Belkin or link which is a factory default name as the network.....change it to something unique to you and your friend. Fourth enter the SSID page and set it to Not Broadcast. Fifth, look at the client list It should have the MAC address of your computer and if your friend is on line his MAC address. The MAC address is the designator sent out by your machine's network adapter. You can then go into MAC filtering and enable MAC filtering for those addresses and disable others.
sixth, be sure to logout. The router usually takes about 30 seconds between operations to reset itself.
Be sure that you make a copy of the WPA-2 key and the unique name that you gave to the network as he will need it when he sets up his wireless connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users