Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a Challenge

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

I'm getting quite bored recently... any idea's what i could do for a new project (web based)?

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:48 PM

I'm getting quite bored recently... any idea's what i could do for a new project (web based)?

Bored? You want a challenge? I have a site that drives me nuts that you could have a look at . . .

Ha ha. Apparently what my students do for free isn't really good enough :thumbsup:

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:50 PM

ok, send me a message with the details?

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

PM sent. Have fun with it.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:17 PM

So should I go ahead and trash this thread now since it is pretty much worthless, or would someone care to share with the rest of us, being as how this is a forum for people to find information. :thumbsup:

#6 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

I've asked for some guidance as to the development of one of our sites. Let's see what KamakaZ has to say. All of the sites that my students do are truly for educational and community purposes. We're trying to get better. If he's looking for a project, and maybe others have something to add, we'll take on the advice.

Maybe others are in the same boat as me -- their sites just need some tweeking and they're looking for another set of eyes to guide us down a different path that will make us better.

#7 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:36 PM

It seems a bit boring, i'd maybe go for a side navigation bar, i've never been a fan of a menu that extends over 1 line.

also for the background, maybe something like the one on this site would help? http://202.45.110.174/renee

it seems to dark, i think it should be bright, maybe a colour scheme change?

I'm still looking for a coding challenge, any ideas groovicus?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:44 PM

Maybe tinker with Silverlight or something?

I've asked for some guidance as to the development of one of our sites.

Oh. I thought maybe you were holding out on a good reference. :thumbsup:

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:12 PM

Maybe tinker with Silverlight or something?

Good idea... might just do that...
Have you had much to do with it? what languages does it involve?

Oh. I thought maybe you were holding out on a good reference. :thumbsup:

Hehehehe... :flowers:

#10 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:19 PM

Okay, here's a coding challenge. This is what I was talking about with the floating toolbar that we used to have on the site.

Original site built in FrontPage 2000 and 2003. Floating script navigation bar on the left. Links don't work now because all of the FP files are .htms and we rewrote the file to be in Dreamweaver (which saves as .html files):

Klein Baseball Website Old Home Page

This is the only file left over that's still on our server that's a FrontPage file.

When we redid the file into Dreamweaver, we literally copied the code from FP into Dreamweaver for the nav bar. But it would never float, or it would end up positioned at the very bottom of the page. We tried and tried, but as I've told KamakaZ, with only 47 minutes in the class period and other students and sites to tend to, I put it on the back burner and told the kids to build another navigation bar.

I'd love to get the floater back. Ideas?

Edited by txtchr, 18 May 2009 - 09:42 PM.

#11 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:28 PM

ill look into it later on tonight for you.

thanks for a challenge, both of you.

#12 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 09:41 AM

I've entered the script on a current Dreamweaver page and uploaded it:

Klein Baseball Alternate Home Page

Notice the nav bar doesn't float as it does in the link provided above. Also, when the page is manually resized, the nav bar superimposes over the body section (it does not do this in the FP file). It's the exact same code. The only edit I have done is to change the .htm to .html on the links so that the navigation is active.

Edit: just noticed that in FF (since we only have IE at school where I did the edits on the page) that the nav bar is at the very bottom of the page, too.

Edited by txtchr, 19 May 2009 - 06:39 PM.

#13 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:39 PM

I think i've found the problem:

at the end of the part where you can edit your menu, you have:

</tr>
</table>
<!--END OF EDIT-->

i copied your source code and put this in:

</td>
</tr>
</table>
<!--END OF EDIT-->

I don't think you ended the cell with the </td> i have tested this and it worked, let me know how it goes.

EDIT: sorry still trying, it seems to work every now and then - will keep you posted!

Edited by KamakaZ, 19 May 2009 - 06:51 PM.

#14 txtchr

txtchr

• Members
  • 153 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:57 PM

Just uploaded the changes you suggested. No help. FF looks horrible.

Edit: Thanks! Anyone else who wants to take a look at this code and try to figure it out, have a good time with it. We tried for about a month to figure it out but got nowhere. It appears stationary in IE (any version) on the left section of the window, but in FF (any version), it is positioned at the absolute bottom of the page. It's been over a year since this nav bar was functional, so anything you can do to help is appreciated. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to scripts, and most of my students muddle their way through them. This site was originally written by a girl who graduated several years ago who was a real wizard at coding. :thumbsup: I've got the file on a portable hard drive so I can work at home with it now, too.

Edited by txtchr, 19 May 2009 - 07:06 PM.

#15 KamakaZ

KamakaZ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:01 PM

the code that you got from here is not much different to the code on your site. maybe try change the frombottom to fromtop? i think that was the only other difference i could see.

when i ran the code from the link i provided it works fine, sub in that code into your code (replace the menu) it doesn't work. the javascript isn't conflicting anywhere is it?

Edited by KamakaZ, 19 May 2009 - 08:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users