Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question Regarding OS reinstallation/reformat?.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

Hi People,
During my previous reformat I had to do a repair install and although my PC is working fine since then I found that I cannot update to SP3 and now cannot get Comodo CIS v3.9 to install. It installs the Firewall and Defence+ but not the Antivirus. I tried running with the Firewall, Def+ and the latest version of Avira but had conflict problems. The other thing that may have happened is that the three different times I tried to install CIS I used Comodo CSC to clean the PC and maybe this has caused problems also. Any way I have decided to reinstall my copy of Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and to this end I have made a backup disk with newly downloaded copies of my installed programs such as CIS, SAS, MBAM, A-Squared, SpywareBlaster, Auto-Runs etc etc in order to be able to install most of them offline only going online when my PC was secure in order to update them including Windows Update.
I then thought perhaps that wasn't the best way to proceed and it might be better to just install Windows, my Graphics and Sound Card drivers and CIS, then go to Windows Update and update the OS to SP3 and all Windows updates to the present time then after that install my other programs etc What would be the best way to go about this?.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:49 PM

Strictly a matter of preferences...but I see no reason to make installing an O/S more difficult and fraught with possible bumps...than I have to.

So I just install the O/S and SP3s via a slipstreamed CD. I know that there are no incompatibilities in those files when I create my slipstreamed CD.

Installing programs...takes a matter of seconds. Adding those to any attempt to install an O/S is "unnecessary garbage" that adds unnecessary potential bumps into my attempt.

There's a big difference in my mind...between adding security updates (from Microsoft) to any version of XP (from Microsoft) and creating a CD that will install the O/S smoothly and efficiently...and adding various programs that may/may not have possibly corrupt/damaged/incompatible files (from various vendors).

IMO, the simplest way to get away from all this irritation with installing programs...seems to be cloning your hard drive, something that is done easily and cheaply today. Hard drives are dirt cheap and cloning programs that are reliable...are freely available to the public.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users