Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook and Gmail

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Raith

Raith

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:28 PM

This isn't a question I am asking, but rather for someone else. As far as I can understand, he's having an issue that has to do with outlook and gmail. For example;

also if i go to eml 1 of my files like a pic, it will not go to my gmail email to send it-instead, my outlook express comes up which i cannot send from.

By this, I mean he means that he tries to e-mail a file, and it will not go to gmail e-mail, instead outlook express comes up. Why is this? It's okay if you cannot understand it, because I cannot either.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:04 PM

The issue is that gmail is web based and uses the browser to acess it. Whereas Outlook Express is a mail client that downloads email from the server onto the harddrive of the machine. So when he clicks the picture the machine accesses the email client, not the browser.

Does that help you understand the difference between a mail client and web/browser based email?

For a much more indepth explanation take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_client

At the very end is a brief explanation of webmail.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:10 PM

Is the person RIGHT clicking on the file, then choosing Send To/Mail Receipient?
If so, that will bring up Outlook Express. (or the default email client if someone uses another client program). And if the client is not configured to work with gmail or a web-based mail, he can't use it.

Simply clicking on the file should not open up Outlook Express.
If he doesn't want to configure OE to work with gmail, he will have to use the attach function in gmail.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2009 - 04:11 PM.

#4 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

The issue is that gmail is web based and uses the browser to acess it. Whereas Outlook Express is a mail client that downloads email from the server onto the harddrive of the machine. So when he clicks the picture the machine accesses the email client, not the browser.

Does that help you understand the difference between a mail client and web/browser based email?

For a much more indepth explanation take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_client

At the very end is a brief explanation of webmail.

Hi. I understand that gmail is web based, I'm not exactly so sure what he is exactly saying. As far as I understand it, do you mean that the file he is clicking on, it's a file that was downloaded from outlook? If so, would the correct way be that he just "saves as" the picture/file using gmail onto his computer and it would be fixed that way?

Is the person RIGHT clicking on the file, then choosing Send To/Mail Receipient?
If so, that will bring up Outlook Express. (or the default email client if someone uses another client program). And if the client is not configured to work with gmail or a web-based mail, he can't use it.

Simply clicking on the file should not open up Outlook Express.
If he doesn't want to configure OE to work with gmail, he will have to use the attach function in gmail.

OE to work with gmail would only be that he puts his gmail information into his OE, right?

Thanks.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

To set up your Outlook Express client to work with Gmail:

If your he isn't familiar with the differences between web based mail and an email client, have him read the link Animal posted.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 May 2009 - 07:39 PM.

#6 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

I'm checking the computer and he told me that was his situation (which was weird), I already know how to setup OE with Gmail. I'm just merely confused by what he typed/asked. Here's the full post:

i cannot email from crtn websites. i have gmail now. i used to have my eml from the cable provider i had, but since i canceled them somethin went wrong. its def a procedural error on my part. someone like u can prob fig this out in 2 sec. also if i go to eml 1 of my files like a pic, it will not go to my gmail email to send it-instead, my outlook express comes up which i cannot send from.

I can barely decipher, haha, but I guess I will know what the deal is on Thursday.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:49 PM

Did he use OE with the other service provider? It's hard to decipher what he means.
See if you can find out-if he did then all he needs to do is change the account settings from the ISP to gmail.

#8 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

Yeah he said he canceled some ISP and is using gmail now, I'll have to see Thursday. Seems like his communication skills are lacking.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 08:16 AM

It is difficult to figure out his problem from his description of it. I am sure you can resolve the problem when you see him Thursday; if not, let us know what his problem IS and we can help.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#10 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

Okay, I have checked his issue. Basically its this, when he's trying to send someone a link, any link.

He does this:

Right click on link > Send Link > Outlook Express(version 6 I believe, it's from 2004) pops up.

I do not have this issue since I do not have outlook at all right now. And his outlook does not have any account options to change, it's weird. Maybe his version is from 2004?

#11 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

Basically, does anyone know how to setup Outlook Express 6 with gmail? There's 2007 version but that costs.

I'm trying it at home just to test:

I open Outlook Express.

Tools > Acounts
Add > Mail

Display Name: *entered* went to next step.
E-mail address: *I enter my gmail address* went to next step.
My incoming service I used POP3. Incoming I used pop.gmail.com and outgoing I used smtp.gmail.com
Next screen is what the account my ISP gave me, I used it for gmail account and password.

I tried creating an e-mail, this error popped out:

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'raithed@gmail.com'. Subject 'h', Account: 'pop.gmail.com', Server: 'smtp.gmail.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '530 5.7.0 Must issue a STARTTLS command first. 6sm1498193ywc.31', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 530, Error Number: 0x800CCC78

What is a STARTTLS? What does it mean? Thanks.

#12 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

Bump?

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:17 PM

Did you Enable POP in your email account?
That has to be done while in gmail.
Did you follow the directions from numbers 11-15 HERE? which is the same link I provided in an earlier post.

#14 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

Followed all of it, G mail is enabled for all mail.

#15 Raith

Raith
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

Well I give up, it doesn't error me now, but it freezes Outlook.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users