Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Live8

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

The Live8 concerts being organized by Bob Geldof (Boomtown Rats) are designed to raise awareness of poverty in the so called "Third World Countries". The idea is to have the more affluent nations forgive their debt to these countries so they can devote those monies to internal situations like health care and education and infrastruture. The concerts are being hastily arranged so that they co-incide with the upcoming meeting of the leaders of the Group Of Eight Nations at the Gleneagles Summit, Perthshire, Scotland, UK, 2005, July 6-8, 2005

Will these concerts all over the world, watched by literally billions of people, actually influence our leaders?

What is the G8?

G8 Information Centre.

Live8

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:56 PM

Put the question another way, SHOULD it influence the representatives of the G8?
And the real question of the day, does Live8 make any sense when they write:

8 world leaders, gathered in Scotland for the G8 summit, will be presented with a workable plan to double aid, drop the debt and make the trade laws fair. If these 8 men agree, then we will become the generation that made poverty history.

Let's expand the discussion:
How easy is it for groups to personalise (into 8 lone men without regard to their staff and their government analysts) the issue into a good/evil drama; how easy it is to reduce world poverty to just a few issues that if corrected will bring about a new golden age?

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 26 June 2005 - 01:57 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:56 PM

I've read many other things about this, and like someone once said about this:

Doesn't it seem odd to see commercials of people with money try to sponsor this? If those people really cared they would donate there own money.

This does some kind of fishy in my eyes, however I would still like to see the end to this. I mean I get tired of all those commericials of the Christian Kids and what not trying to make you feel bad cause you don't donate.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 11 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

IMHO, all governments are corrupt, so even if they did forgive the debts, make the trade laws fair (Yeah, right.), and double aid, the people that need it, would never see the benifits, anyway.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ~overkill~

~overkill~

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2005 - 10:42 PM

Groov or jg, yall got names in ya head correct me if im wrong but wasnt it CW Field, or maybe CW Scott said we should have a revolution every 75 years cuz thats how long it takes for a gov to become corrupt? anywho, i agree. and yr right...if the peeps with the cash really care, give it up sucka, they spend more dollars tryin to get a dime outta me that i can spare that they could just donate that. far as that goes, id like to see some of these countries come up, but a lot are in the hands of peeps who would as likely give the cash to quaddafi or someone as give it to the poor. ya jus cant tell, so i say, let em do that thing, cus im doin what i can to try to keep up with the .5 acre circle i call mine. in any event i doubt much will influence ol garge, he got his own thing runnin and its gonna run til hes done, come hell or high water

#6 dpb510

dpb510

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:25 PM

tg1911 hit the nail on the head.
Reports are now coming out, that the funds for the tsunami victims are not going to help them. But instead, to the elites that run these countries.
This isn't new. What better way to funnel money to youre compadres who are keeping that third world country in it's place, so as to have cheap (slave) labor. And then a disaster! This is like manna from heaven for these folks. They don't have to raise taxes or come up with any kind of BS to squeeze more money out of big hearted, hard working, over taxed westerners. We just send it right on over.
........dpb..........

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:36 PM

Unfortunately, in the nations that need the help the most the governments are rife with bribery and theft- - -that is how they are building a middle class.
Without tying the money to independent relief agencies, far too much of it will go to lining the pockets of officials whose interest in the citizens is practically nill. The value Western civilisation puts on the individual human existent is not shared in many parts of the world.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users