Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Compaq & Realtek NIC

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 quickskill

quickskill

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:39 PM

I've got two different Compaq laptops, each with the same problem.

One is a Compaq C571NR, originally a Vista machine. I formatted & installed Windows XP Professional on it. It took me a while, but I tracked down all the drivers I needed. However, I was never able to get the NIC working satisfactorily -- it's a Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. The NIC at least appears to be operating on some level; it obtains an IP address from the network & works periodically. By periodically, I mean periodically poorly. Occasionally a web page will load up very slowly to completion, but more often than not, the browser loads a small portion of the page (as little as the title bar) & keeps 'working' on the rest. And most of my test pages are random Google searches so these are pretty bare-bones pages.

Of note, I am always able to successfully ping other computers on the network from this machine, but only occasionally could other computers ping this one. When trying to ping the C571NR, sometimes all 4 packets got through, more often 3 out of 4 got through, or none got through.

I tried multiple different versions of the drivers but none seem to perform any better than the others. They included:

I purchased a USB ethernet adapter & this works fine.

Now I originally chalked this up to a Vista-to-XP driver problem, but then a couple days later began working on a Compaq Presario V5000 with Windows XP Pro on it. Similarly, I formatted it & reinstalled Windows XP Pro SP3. This time around, I used a little program called DriverMax to backup all the drivers & reinstall them (after Windows was installed). While this process took a while, it appeared to work very well. However, when I went to try out the wired connection, it behaved in the exact manner as the Vista-to-XP C571NR.

I've done a number of format/reinstalls & never had a problem like this before. At this point, I have no idea what is causing the problem although I'd really like to resolve without having to purchase another USB ethernet adapter. I find it difficult to believe that both of the NIC cards need replaced.

Any ideas or assistance would be appreciated, even if it's to recommend the USB ethernet adapter. While I'd like to get the internal NIC working, I'm not looking on starting some quixotic adventure with little to gain. I've been trying Google searches left & right on this issue, but have yet to find a solution.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users