Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Complete novice that needs XP help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 dezziesmom21

dezziesmom21

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 01:27 PM

I am completely new to this and this will be my first time in a forum (I think that's what this is called :thumbsup: ) to ask questions. I am having major problems with my computer and I have searched the Internet for help on how to fix the problem but because I am a complete novice to this I have no idea what most of the things they are talking about even are or where to find them. So for somebody I am going to be a pain in the butt I am sure but trust me I am already very grateful for any help I may receive. OK here is the story - :flowers: I have Windows XP, don't know which version - I just know I have that because it says that when I get to the stuck point. I turn on the computer and there is screen that gives you the option to pick Del - Setup, F8 - Boot Menu, F12 - Network Boot, or Esc. - Skip memory test - if you don't pick anything it goes on to the next screen that gives you like 30 seconds to decide if you want to pick from the following: Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/networking, Safe Mode w/command prompt, Last known good config., start windows normally. (None work any better that the other) Then Windows XP flashes two times and then black screen with a cursor arrow and nothing more. I am using my boyfriends old computer on the porch right now just to try and get some connection to somebody that might help. I have no idea what to do or most of the computer lingo that goes with it so if anybody could help me I would greatly appreciate anything that could be suggested. First timer hoping for help, Thanks in advance!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 07:20 PM

How long have you had the computer and it seems like it either has a virus or was turned off wrong,also are there any numbers on the bottom of the screen.
What you are seeing is if the computer was turned off at the mains and a file has got corrupted.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users