Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop reboots when power cord unplugged.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tyler Sweet

Tyler Sweet

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

I have a Vostro 1500 laptop, just over a year old.
O/S: Windows XP Pro, SP3
RAM: 2gb
CPU: Intel Core Duo 2ghz

A few days ago as I unplugged the power cord to move to a different room, as I have done hundreds of times over the past year, the laptop rebooted. Thinking this was odd, I let it boot completely off of the battery, then plugged it in. Nothing happened, apart from the computer registered that it had been plugged in and was working off of AC. So I unplugged the power cord again, after checking to see that the batter was, in fact, fully charged. Again, it rebooted. So, I decided to check the Event log to see if it logged any errors. The event log didn't show anything out of the ordinary for the laptop.
So I decided it might be a hardware issue. To check, I manually rebooted the laptop while it was plugged in, and then unplugged it at the BIOS screen. To my surprise, it kept booting up. So I plugged/unplugged it at regular intervals, partway through loading Windows, the action of unplugging the cord once again caused a reboot.
I am clueless as to what is going on, other than it must be a problem with a Windows component. Does anyone know anything I can try?
Thank you,
Tyler Sweet

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tyler Sweet

Tyler Sweet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

More Info: I've played around some more, it has the same behavior when booted from a Ubuntu Live CD, but NOT when you boot from the Dell Utility CD, which asks you to unplug the adapter as part as the tests. It also did not find any errors, even when running the test seven times.
Please, Most of my day is moving my laptop between jobs and rooms, I'd really like to not have to shutdown my laptop just to move from one room to another.
-Tyler Sweet

#3 CAV Tech

CAV Tech

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:15 AM

Hello,

Perhaps the battery on your laptop has come to the end of the road? I've had one die on me and shut off the computer everytime I unplugged it. Just a guess. It does sound hardware related to me though.

#4 Tyler Sweet

Tyler Sweet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:26 AM

The weird part is that it'll run off the battery just fine. Once you pull the cord and it starts to reboot, it'll boot all the way up and run off the battery. I've given up for now, I'll just RDP to it from work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users