Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just a question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aliboy66

aliboy66

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:11 AM

Hi i use Aol i sign in using my screen name and a password to get on to the internet once i am on the net i use firefox as my browsers now for some reason i don't need to use Aol i just click on firefox on my desktop and i am on the net which i don't mind but is this safe does this mean my internet is on all the time? or am i ok. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:29 AM

Are you on wireless?

#3 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:50 PM

No just a modem bt 190 voyager i got broadband os windows xp home

#4 silver threads

silver threads

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

I also use Firefox and access the internet by clicking on the firefox icon, I only use my ISP to get to my emails which is probably what is happening with you regarding AOL.

If you have all the necessary internet security progs. installed you should be O.K but someone out there may be able to advise you further.

#5 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

Since i last posted i have change my modem to speedtouch still broadband but just click ff3 and i am on the net.and my daughter can with her ipod. what i want to know is how come i am wireless when i haven't put wireless in? and i don't have to use a password for ff does this mean anybody can access my internet?. How can i put a password on ff3,do i have to? cause i like it this way but someone told me this is not safe my os is windows xp home for security got outpost for firewall avast antivirus spywareblaster malwarebytes anti malewear superantispywear and threatfire? thanks

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I am not clear whether AOL is your broadband ISP or not. It sounds to me like you are using AOL for E-mail or your home page and not connecting using their software; thus, you are always connected to your broadband ISP and can use Ff as your default browser. You do not login to your ISP through Ff, so you do not need a password for it to connect. Now since your computer is always connected, then anyone with access to your computer can use the internet, so you may want to have a password for the computer login.
You seem to have a layered protection with a resident firewall, AV, and several anti-spyware applications, so you should be as safe as one can expect, given some care about what you download or where you browse. I would recommend, however, that you include the NoScript add-on for Firefox.
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Hi yes i use to login with Aol password and screen name once on the net i use ff3 now i can bypass Aol and just click on ff or IE is this ok got a addon being using one called wot on ff3 is this one ok is there anything else i should do? thanks

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

You are certainly safest using Firefox. Wot seems (I have not used it) be to a list of risky sites, which is very useful. I would still recommend adding NoScript, which is not dependent on the currency of a list, to help keep you safe when browsing. Make sure all the security applications are updated daily and virus definitions are current: new nasties crop up daily, and you will want to be protected against them. Be sure to have a routine, and stick to it, of using the applications to scan your hard drive (how often more or less depends on your use and internet habits).
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 aliboy66

aliboy66
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2010 - 11:59 AM

Hi thanks for all the info i have now got Noscript, it blocks most things? so my computer should be ok thanks a lot :thumbsup:

Edited by aliboy66, 10 January 2010 - 12:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users