Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cmd and regedit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Borry

Borry

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:23 AM

over the last two weeks, as an I.T. Technician myself, i have noticed that i cannot use cmd.exe or regedit.exe, as a result i have been unable to install programs requiring both of these programs.
i have looked at several posts about this on a few forums, one was on Bleeping computer, the problems for those individuals were fixed, i followed the instructions given and they did not work for me.

as a result, i have formatted my computer and re-installed my Windows XP Professional SP2 OEM disc which helped for a margin of about 5 minutes, cmd and regedit did work for that time something had changed within the 5 minutes to stop these programs from working.

i resulted to renaming the cmd.exe to command.exe and regedit.exe to reg3dit.exe, they are currently working when i type in those names on the run command, although the programs i am installing don't recognise the change and still can't install as a result.

i have now become a member of this website to seek additional information and help.

Edited by Borry, 18 May 2009 - 04:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:05 PM

Worth trying, IMO.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Secu...ions-Tool.shtml

Louis

#3 Borry

Borry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

thankyou for your quick reply.

i'll give it a go now.

#4 Borry

Borry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:03 PM

it removed the restrictions that was put on by a virus i may have had a while ago, but now i can see a hidden folder that has grabbed my attention that is on all 4 of my hard drives.
this folder is called "runauto.." i cannot view what is in it, i cannot delete it.

i am still unable to use cmd.exe or regedit.exe

what shall i do next.

Edited by Borry, 18 May 2009 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users