Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WINDOWS XP

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 nonna

nonna

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:14 AM

Hello to all :flowers:

Can anyone please tell me how can I get into safe mode other than using the F8 option.

For some reason my function keys are not working, I vigorously press F8 as soon as I turn on the computer but it won't go into safe mode.

Is there another option please.

Cheers

Nonna

:thumbsup:

Edited by nonna, 18 May 2009 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:27 AM

Using the F8 on start up is the only way I know. What kind of keyboard do you have? If it is wireless, USB, like mine, you may want to try using a PS/2 keyboard. The USB does not load up until after the POST on my computer... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

Hello Wildabeast,

Thanks for responding.

I have a logitech cordless keyboard, which for me causes more problems than having the advantage of having a cordless keyboard, lol

It's like pressing F8 doesn't even register when starting up windows, frustrating to say the least.

What do you mean by PS/2 keyboard?

Cheers

Nonna

#4 Stofzuiger

Stofzuiger

• Members
  • 332 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:51 AM

It's like pressing F8 doesn't even register when starting up windows, frustrating to say the least.

Thats exacly what wildabeast said might be the problem:

The USB does not load up until after the POST on my computer...

In other words, your keyboard loads after the POST (your PC startup procedure), so your keyboard isn't functioning at the time you need to press F8.

What do you mean by PS/2 keyboard?

an wired keyboard like this (just do an google search on PS/2 keyboard):
Posted Image

Every one goes fun fun fun

Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha beta psychedelic bleepin'? ~Chemical Brothers - Elektrobank

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 04:57 AM

I have the controller for my wireless keyboard plugged into the ps2 connector and have no problem getting in to safe mode with it. Most likely, your keyboard came with an adapter to convert the usb plug to a ps2, give that a try.

#6 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:53 AM

Sorry, I guess I could have been a little clearer on that. If you have a USB to PS/2 adaptor you can try it. I tried it with mine but it did not work. If you have the same problem you could borrow a keyboard or pick up a wired keyboard at Walmart or online. You can find them fairly cheap now a days. I've seen them for around $10.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#7 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

Thanks everyone for your time and help in trying to resolve this issue for me.

This logitech keyboard and mouse doesn't come with any cords.

I have to do what Wildabeast says and go and get a normal "plug it in" keyboard and mouse. Can't go to Walmart though don't have any in Australia but I"ll find one.

Cheers and thanks again everyone.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

There is not a controller for the mouse and keyboard that plugs into the computer?

On all the of the ones I have had there has been a controller that plugs into the computer even though the mouse and keyboard have no cords, even the Logitech ones

#9 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:17 PM

Hi Stang777

No there isn't. There isn't any visable place on the keyboard where one could be inserted.

It's a good excuse and reason for me to go and get a plug in one, like I have started this cordless keyboard and mouse have given me endless problems over the last few years, should have done it sooner.

In my defense though I am only just starting to realise the maintenance that is now involved in the upkeep of one's computer. I just thought mine was old but having to fix the malware that attached itself to my son's new computer over the last few days has really opened my eyes to a lot of issues that I am having which I have just posted today.

Please feel free to look at that post and if you could help in anyway it would be gr8tly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this issue though, I need to buy a new keyboard and mouse - and it won't be logitech lol.

Cheers Stang777

Nonna

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:56 PM

It would not be attached to your mouse or keyboard at all. There is a seperate controller for them that attaches to the computer, it does not attach to the mouse or keyboard and there has to be one otherwise the computer would not recognize the mouse or keyboard at all.

Can you give me a link to the other posts you are referring to?

Edited by Stang777, 19 May 2009 - 12:05 AM.

#11 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:06 AM

Hi Stang777

I have another post called WHERE DO I BEGIN. (I don't know how to post a link, but I am willing to learn) - just to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks. :trumpet:

Moderator Boopme is trying to help but as you will see by my reply post I'm not having much success.

I seem to have lost my Windows Installer.

Like I stated she is an old computer but I'm not able to put her out to pasture yet, really want to try to fix her. A lot of people (meaning the kids) have used her over the last 6 years and now she's mine so I really want to get her into good working order.......besides I can't really afford a new one at this stage. :flowers:

A problem shared is a problem solved, has always been my philosophy.

Thanks muchly for your time

Nonna

Edited by nonna, 19 May 2009 - 04:07 AM.

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 04:36 AM

You are very welcome and I am sorry I am not able to be of more help.

Your computer really is not that old and with a little time and effort you should be able to get it running just fine. Just be patient and keep working with it, someone here should be able to get it running just the way it should

#13 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:19 AM

No thanks to you and you have helped me, maybe not to fix my technical issue but I am learning heaps about viruses, software, hard drives - safe mode I didn't even know it existed :flowers: and these emoticons I just love them :trumpet:

Cheers stang777

I am sure we will talk again soon.

Nonna

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:28 AM

In rereading your original post I am wondering if maybe you are pressing F8 too soon. Have you tried continually tapping it the whole time before the screen that says Windows is loading?

I am pretty sure that I have to press F8 after the initial screen that is displayed when starting up the computer in order for it to work.

If so, have you looked in the BIOS to see if USB is enabled?

Your wireless keyboard is connected to the computer by way of the controller I mentioned before and it sounds like it is connected via the USB port. If that is not enabled in the BIOS it won't work and if you enable it there it might work.

#15 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

Ooooo another challenge I love it :cool:

Apparently from what I have read and learnt that as soon as you here the "beep" you have to start tapping F8. That's all good and well for these new laptops but for me I don't here a beep. So upon restart I wait until the "windows is shutting down" screen disappears and then I start tapping away and then the Windows is loading screen appears, I then know it's not going into safe mode.

Ok, here's the unskilled side of me: what is the BIOS and how do I get to it to see if the USB is enabled? - more to learn :trumpet: :thumbsup:

There is a sensor?? or whatever it's called - a triangular thingy that is plugged into the back of the hard drive which controls??? the mouse and keyboard - :inlove: omg that sounds stupid but I don't know any other way to describe it.

Cheers Stang777

Nonna
:flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users