Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate, Western Digital, Fantom, which one would you get?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bestof

bestof

• Banned
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:46 PM

Hello

Im trying to upgrade from my pc to something new. I was looking for a good external hard drive to store all of my games and movies on. Anyway so i was looking at some online:

Seagate 1.5 TB

Fantom Drives 3TB

Western Digital 500GB

Which one would you buy? OR if you have a better receiver in mind then please let me know.

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 12 October 2009 - 03:38 AM.
Mod Edit: Delinked Spam Link - AA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hmmm... I'm leaning towards the Western Digital, but the reviews aren't high enough, IMO. The reason I don't just say the Seagate is because I don't expect it to survive long enough to fill up more than once, unless it's just for storage.

The Fantom Drives looks interesting. I recommend looking up some reviews on that one.

Also, about the Seagate, I don't see anything on the page about it being external. Maybe I missed something?
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 YHB318

YHB318

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

Yeah, that Seagate is not external. If you can go internal, the new Seagate 7200.12 series is awesome. I would be wary of Seagate's external stuff right now. I have an older Seagate FreeAgent 320GB, and it has slowed down considerably. I need to replace it soon - it's starting to worry me.

Here is a link to a 1TB internal HD. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148433

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,164 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:18 PM

IMO external is the key! What many do is leave it up and running all of the time, my external antique drive died after six years. I change out my internal drives every two years even if running mint! IMO any name brand used when needed will give good long service, if you are going to leave one on all of the time put one in the case and reduce clutter!

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users