Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with CD drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 goldngardngnome

goldngardngnome

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:26 PM

Hello, I just got a new Acer wind notebook that I am currently loading up with some games like Starcraft, however, this computer does not have a disc drive. I was wondering if there was a way to install onto this computer using another computer, using a USB cord or something of the likes. I'd rather not buy an external CD drive to do this, but if that's my last resort I guess it will do. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:45 AM

What model is this?
I find it amazing in this day and age that a laptop doesn't come with a CD/DVD drive
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:36 PM

Just a hunch! Acer Aspire One, I have one for travel did not like lugging a full sized one around. With a slight memory mod it runs almost as fast as a desk top. Back to the subject, I bought an "LG" RW DVD for $99 runs off the USB jacks but shortens battery time by half. It comes with good software plus Nero which I have not bothered with does everything well without. So far after four months it has performed very well, as good as my big machine.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 goldngardngnome

goldngardngnome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:05 PM

Sorry, I don't know why I said Acer, I meant MSI. I got it because it's a rather small laptop and sadly it does not come with a CD drive.

It's an MSI Wind Netbook.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 06:04 AM

From what I can see all these Mini's are made by the same manufacturer under quite a few names in many configurations, I have the Aspire mine has the 8G SSD with 2G ram. I have another 8G in the slot which I use for added programs and storage, mine has a slight software mod which increased it speed a lot.
Anyway Check out the LG it will satisfy your needs, here is a link for you to it check out. http://www.prlog.org/10121656-buy-today-lg...uter-store.html

Edited by OldPhil, 19 May 2009 - 06:05 AM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,252 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 02:17 PM

Files can be transferred routinely...from one networked system to another.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users