Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

User Profile "FORMATTED"

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:59 PM

Our computer is shared by many users and I am the Administrator but,for security reasons, I'm not using Administrator account on normal computer usage. Instead, I created an account with Limited Rights. Unfortunately, that account seemed to be "reformatted." Everything seemed to be deleted. My wallpaper turned into an empty blue screen background - just like when you choose "none" as your wallpaper. Task bar also shifted to classic style and desktop icons shifted back to the default icons. I've checked other accounts and found out that all seemed to be fine except my account.

Good thing that I've put the path of My Documents into a different drive so it's not affected.

I'm currently using another account that I've just created.
Let's have a mental fusion!
Let us do our part to make this world a truly symbiotic place.

For other computer problems, this blog might be helpful:
http://cosmicsniper.blogspot.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hi, I have one possible solution.

Go to Start > Control Panel > Display. Click on the "Desktop" tab, then the "Customize Desktop..." button.
Click on the "Web" tab, then under Web Pages, uncheck and delete everything you find (except "My Current Home page").
Also, make sure the Lock desktop items box is unchecked. Click "Ok", then "Apply" and "Ok".

When done, go back into your Desktop Settings and you should be able to change the color/theme to whatever you want.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:46 AM

I've followed the instructions given but the I encountered some irregularities.
1. On Control Panel, Classic View could not be selected. I then decided to do it using the category view.
2. Under Web Pages, nothing is listed.
3. Lock Desktop Items box is already not selected.

So I guess there's nothing to do. Just kidding! :thumbsup:

Another thing is any modification to the desktop appearance, i.e. wallpaper is useless.

Are there any other possibilities?

Oh! Yah, I remembered something!

Before this happened, the last thing that I did was to run Ccleaner on Administrator Account. After the process, I decided to run it also on my limited account. Because I don't want to switch across the accounts, I decided to find a way to run it even I'm in the Administrator Account.

Here's what I did:

I included C:/Documents and Settings/my limited account name into places to clean. After that, I switched back to that account and it took a very long time to load and after that is this situation.

Did I chose the wrong folder?

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:00 AM

You could try a system restore back to a time just before the issue started.

#5 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:03 AM

Update!

Switching from Classic Style to Windows XP Style is successful. So as modifying the task bar settings. On the other hand, Desktop and Screen Saver are both unmodifiable. :thumbsup:

#6 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:31 AM

could you please remind me how to do system restore?

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 AM

Posted 19 May 2009 - 10:36 AM

Go to your System Tools group under Accessories in your Programs menu. Then click on the System Restore icon.
Select a restore point that you would like to restore.
At this point you will prompted with a confirmation as to whether or not you want to continue.
Then reboot..

See the BC Tutorial.. Windows XP System Restore Guide,section, Restoring Windows XP to a previous State
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 cosmic_sniper05

cosmic_sniper05
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

thanks for the info about System Restore!

I tried it but still not satisfied with the result. SO I decided to undo my restore and just delete that user account. Good thing I had my important files backed-up.

Anyway, Thank You guys for the help!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users