Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Certain items on web pages won't appear or won't load

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 inquisitive1

inquisitive1

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:56 PM

When I visit a few sites from my home computer, certain parts of the sites won't load for me. However, I know these certain parts are supposed to be there because they show up on my work computer.

For example, a few weeks ago I went to this website: http://www.sj-r.com/. There's supposed to be a tab that appears under the blue bar that says "facebook" and "twitter." This tab is a breaking news tab that is updated throughout the day. In IE 7, a large ad appears above where the breaking news tab should be. In Firefox, the ad is gone, but the breaking news tab still does not appear. The "Top Job" application at the side of the page is blank in IE 7 but does appear in Firefox. If I click on any of the articles that have comments, the comment wheel continually spins, but none of the comments show up.

There has to be some setting on my computer that makes this occur. I use NAV, but I have disabled it and tried to load the pages with no luck. This isn't the only site this happens on, and it's very frustrating. I've also cleared browsing history, cookies, files, etc. It must be something in one of my settings but I've tried a lot of things and nothing has worked. I would like to be able to view all parts of websites that I visit. Please give some advice as to how I can correct this. Thanks!

Edited by inquisitive1, 17 May 2009 - 07:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:54 AM

In Firefox's addon NoScript, I was able to see the Breaking News Tab after allowing googleapis.com and Zope.

If that is not the cure, then check to see if you have allowed Java by putting a check in the boxes under the content tab.
Tools, options, content, check both boxes Enable Java, Enable Java script.

EDIT:
This might work for blocking the popup ads that are blocking the tab in IE.
Install "Spyware Blaster. Just update every 2 weeks. It uses no computer resources.

You can easily block the ad/tracking cookies from ever being
installed on your computer. They are called "Third Party Cookies"
See info in link for IE instructions and just uncheck "allow third
party cookies" in Firefox.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-v...

Once you have blocked the cookies from installing, remove the existing ad/tracking cookies by running
a quick scan with a security program you now have that does that or use Super Antispyware to remove them.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Edited by buddy215, 18 May 2009 - 10:18 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:18 PM

I didn't have that add-on for Firefox, so I added it. I followed your tip, and it still didn't work for me. The same is true for IE.

Edited by inquisitive1, 18 May 2009 - 06:34 PM.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:59 PM

Something is blocking scripts. What other addons do you have in Firefox?

Try updating Java. Go to start, conttrol panel, double click on the Java coffee cup, click on the update tab, click on update.
After updating go to the Add/Remove program and remove ALL old Java programs.

I did not allow any cookies when I went to site. So that is not the problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:13 PM

It tells me I already have the most current version of Java. Actually, yesterday I removed Java and reinstalled because I thought that might be my problem.

I have AdBlock Plus--which I just got and I think that is why the large ad at the top of the page doesn't show. I also have Java Quick starter, Microsoft Net Framework Assistant, and now NoScript.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:23 PM

I think NAV blocks some scripts. I don't know enough about NAV to advise you on it.
Maybe someone that does will comment.

Is this a new problem? I mean were you once able to view the "breaking news" before in Firefox?

I have those addons, too. The only difference is I have Java Quick Start "disabled".

Edited by buddy215, 18 May 2009 - 07:27 PM.

#7 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:30 PM

I could view the breaking news in IE just a few weeks ago. I don't use Firefox that much so I never tried that before now. Even when I disable NAV, I still don't see the breaking news tab in either.

A few months ago I signed up for NCAA March Madness on Demand and I couldn't get that to play/load, either. I've been having problems with that for a few months. Actually, here is the link from that. Maybe something in there was done that is causing scripts to be blocked? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1120416

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

Check to see what plugins you have in Firefox for Java. I have 3.
Tools, addons, plugin tab

#9 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Java Platform SE 6 U 13 (binary)

Java Platform SE 6 U 13 (for Netscape Navigator- DLL Helper)

Edited by inquisitive1, 18 May 2009 - 07:55 PM.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yes----Tools, addons, plugin tab

After you click on addons you will see at the top of the window--plugins---click on plugins and you will
then see a list of the plugins installed in Firefox.

#11 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:58 PM

I tricked ya. It's in the post above.

Java Platform SE 6 U 13 (binary)

Java Platform SE 6 U 13 (for Netscape Navigator- DLL Helper)

#12 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

From my first post---If that is not the cure, then check to see if you have allowed Java by putting a check in the boxes under the content tab.
Tools, options, content, check both boxes Enable Java, Enable Java script.

You did check to see if they were enabled, correct?

The third plugin I have should of been removed during the last update. I think. I disabled it and
disabling it hasn't caused any problem.

I think Spybot now monitors something in Firefox. I don't think you even need Spybot with the Norton you have.

I looked at your other topic and nothing was found or removed of any significance.

If you decide to uninstall Spybot, be sure you have exited/closed/disabled all of its functions before uninstalling.

#13 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:36 PM

Yes, both of those boxes are checked.

#14 inquisitive1

inquisitive1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2009 - 10:23 PM

No other ideas?

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,912 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

In your Hijack This topic you stated that Spybot was finding "registry" problems and "trojans" that
Norton was not.

Many have reported in the past that Spybot and Norton don't play well together. Spybot can also be
confusing to use and TeaTimer causes most of that confusion.
If you haven't tried completely uninstalling Spybot I would definitely try that. Be sure to completely
shut down Spybot and Teatimer before attempting uninstall.

After uninstalling Spybot and scripts are still not allowed, I would suggest uninstall Java one more time
and then use a program called JavaRa to cleanup any Java files remaining. Then reinstall Java.

http://raproducts.org/

Edited by buddy215, 25 May 2009 - 07:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users