Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP INSTALLATION TROUBLE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 trumpetman51

trumpetman51

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

Hey all you distinguished PC experts out there!! I need your help again....so, what's new, right?

Anyway, here goes........

I have a Quantum Fireball Plus 20.5GB Hard Drive that was the system disk in another computer. I need it to be my system disk in another computer, so...I went through the XP installation procedure including deleting the existing partition on the disk, formatting the disk and then proceeding with XP Setup. Everything goes along as it should until XP is done copying the necessary files to the drive and it is time for the first reboot....when the computer restarts (with the setup CD still in the CD-Rom drive) the message "If you would like to boot from the CD press any key" appears and, of course I know that it needs to boot from the Hard Drive so I DON'T 'press any key' and I wait for the boot to take place from the hard drive but it never does. Nothing further happens......the "If you would like to boot from the CD press any key" text just stays there on the screen waiting for me to tell it to boot from the CD but, of course, I don't want it to!!

I thought it might be a problem with the XP PRo Setup CD so I repeated the drill with a Home Edition CD and again with a 98SE CD......but...no luck!! Same result!

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!!! Also, if anyone knows where I can find the diagnostic and support software for this Quantum HD I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction!!

Thanks much!!

trumpetman51
John
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 trashcan7

trashcan7

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:33 PM

But why do you keep the CD in the drive?

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,801 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:49 PM

Hmm. When you did the reinstall, did you change the boot order to the disk drive? If so, you'll need to change the boot order back to booting from the hard-drive.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:20 PM

It's my experience that the CD needs to remain in the drive for the installation to continue

And, no I didn't change the boot device order......if there is a bootable floppy in the FD then it will boot to that....if there is a bootable Cd in the CD Drive it will ask me to press "any key" to bot from CD...otherwise, it should boot from HD...am I wrong?
"The right direction's all that counts and there's no way for me to get there late!!"

trumpetman51 (John)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:41 AM

An attempt at clarification: When the XP CD is used to install XP, files are originally loaded to memory...not the hard drive. After such have been loaded to memory, this is wherer the first reboot occurs.

The XP install CD may be removed at this point...or it can simply be left in the optical drive. I have done both during installs. If the install requires the disk for whatever reason, it will prompt the user to reinsert if (if it has been removed).

After this stage is complete...the system then begins to install the files to the hard drive. The stages of installation are reflected in the screen to the left side.

Soooo...it seems to me that there is either a memory problem or a hard drive problem...if the writing of files to the hard drive does not commence.

<<...if there is a bootable Cd in the CD Drive it will ask me to press "any key" to bot from CD...otherwise, it should boot from HD...am I wrong?>>

You are correct.

Louis

#6 iisjman07

iisjman07

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 11:50 AM

I'd run MemTest to eliminate the possibility of RAM problems, and then nuke the drive, and restart

#7 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:44 PM

Ok...sounds reasonable.....so how do I run MemTest if I can't boot from the HD at this point....and.....how do I nuke the drive under these circumstances???

Thanks for the help!!

trumpetman51 (John)

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:56 PM

When you installed the hard drive did you check the jumper to make sure it was set to master ?

Have you at least checked the boot order in the BIOS to make sure the drive is listed & enabled ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 coffeeaholic

coffeeaholic

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:14 PM

When you installed the hard drive did you check the jumper to make sure it was set to master ?

Have you at least checked the boot order in the BIOS to make sure the drive is listed & enabled ?

SATA drives do not need jumpers. brand spanking new HDD's sometimes need a floppy to "prime" the drive, sometimes they forget to do it before boxing. has happened to me a couple times on new drives. xp has a "press any key to boot from cd" message when it boots, unless there is either no hdd or no formatted hdd in the computer, then it just boots to the cd, on reboot however you will see the message to boot from cd if there is a drive ready. (I just reinstalled xp a few minutes ago)

Hey all you distinguished PC experts out there!! I need your help again....so, what's new, right?

Anyway, here goes........

I have a Quantum Fireball Plus 20.5GB Hard Drive that was the system disk in another computer. I need it to be my system disk in another computer, so...I went through the XP installation procedure including deleting the existing partition on the disk, formatting the disk and then proceeding with XP Setup. Everything goes along as it should until XP is done copying the necessary files to the drive and it is time for the first reboot....when the computer restarts (with the setup CD still in the CD-Rom drive) the message "If you would like to boot from the CD press any key" appears and, of course I know that it needs to boot from the Hard Drive so I DON'T 'press any key' and I wait for the boot to take place from the hard drive but it never does. Nothing further happens......the "If you would like to boot from the CD press any key" text just stays there on the screen waiting for me to tell it to boot from the CD but, of course, I don't want it to!!

I thought it might be a problem with the XP PRo Setup CD so I repeated the drill with a Home Edition CD and again with a 98SE CD......but...no luck!! Same result!

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it!!! Also, if anyone knows where I can find the diagnostic and support software for this Quantum HD I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction!!

Thanks much!!

trumpetman51
John

could be something wrong with the hdd, there are diagnostic tools on the quantum web site, make sure its for the proper drive though. I'll look for one as soon as my updates are finnished and post a link or three.

Edited by coffeeaholic, 18 May 2009 - 01:19 PM.

#10 trumpetman51

trumpetman51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 11:09 AM

Thanks to all of you that have offered your help and suggestions.....

I have tried all of them and more and this HD simply will NOT BOOT!! I have decided that it is the hard drive....something is wrong with it.

Thanks for all your help and for taking the time!!

:thumbsup:

trumpetman51 (John)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users