Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavillion dv9000 blank screen on start-up. Will boot to VGA mode but with vertical lines

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 msjaxy

msjaxy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:09 PM

I have an HP Pavillion dv9000 running on Windows XP 05 media center. While I was using it, it suddenly shut down without warning. I tried to restart it. I heard a sound of a fan and the blue LED lights lit up but the screen never came on and after a very short time, the fan noise stopped and the computer seemed to be off.

The first thing I tried to do to resolve this was remove the battery and plug the laptop into the wall and restart it. I tried this several times and it did not work. I then connected the laptop to an external monitor. A screen popped up on the external monitor to select which mode I wanted to go into. I tried normal and then safe modes and the computer shut down. The third time I tried to put the computer in VGA mode, and I was able to access the desktop and programs, including the internet. The only problem was that the display settings were all large and the screen was grainy. When I tried to change the display settings, the computer shut down.

After researching the problem online, I thought maybe my inverter was bad so I ordered a new one and installed it. This did not resolve the problem.

Finally I followed HP's instructions regarding a blank screen and reset the RAM. This did not work either.

Our computer was recently sent to HP to have the left hinge repaired. While there, they updated the bios because the computer had been overheating. These problems started shortly after we got the computer back from HP but because the computer is past warranty, HP denied a connection and refused to diagnose these current issues for free.

Has anyone else had a similar problem or can you please offer some good advice?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauritiansoldier

mauritiansoldier

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:33 PM

Hi. Just wondering if you have worked out a solution to this problem? I have recently got the exact same problem with my DV9000. Thanks

#3 RainbowSix

RainbowSix

• Members
  • 604 posts
  •  

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:07 PM

I know someone who had a DV8000T notebook with what seems to be the same problem. When he got it diagnosed, they said the video memory was fried.
[ Antec 1200 v3 | Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 rev. 3.1 | AMD Phenom II x6 1090T (overclocked to 4GHz) | Corsair XMS3 4x4GB DDR3 1600 | COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 600W & Visiontek Juice Box 450W | SAMSUNG 470 Series 64GB SSD | WD Caviar Black 640GB & Samsung Spinpoint 2TB HDD | 2x XFX Radeon HD 5770 in Crossfire | SAMSUNG 22X DVD±RW | Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit]

CompTIA A+ certified
Stringfellow Electronics

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 734 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

The DV9000 series has some serious hardware problems and, if by recently, you mean within the past six months, you may well be able to get HP to give you another warranty repair. Call them up and be firm; but patient. Tell them they didn't get it fixed the first time. I recently had one brought to me where the owner had ignored the dissappearing wireless problem for over six months. Even though it was out of warranty, HP agreed to fix it and even sent the box to ship it in.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01087277
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 dieseldust

dieseldust

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 20 October 2009 - 04:29 PM

The DV9000 series has some serious hardware problems and, if by recently, you mean within the past six months, you may well be able to get HP to give you another warranty repair. Call them up and be firm; but patient. Tell them they didn't get it fixed the first time. I recently had one brought to me where the owner had ignored the dissappearing wireless problem for over six months. Even though it was out of warranty, HP agreed to fix it and even sent the box to ship it in.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c01087277

I have a similar screen problem that has just started on my HP dv9000. The computer will boot up after several tries, but very often it boots to a black or blank screen, so this is currently a random problem. I contacted HP about this and they informed me of an extended warranty that goes one year extra over the purchase date of the computer for a total of 2 years protection.

Here's my problem, I'm traveling out of the country (US) for the next 2 months (when the problem started). They need my purchase receipt, which of course is at my home, and won't execute the repair without it. I am on business and need the use of my computer in order to access all of my records and files. I don't recall the exact purchase date of my computer (some time in the fall of 2007), so I don't know if I'll be covered or not. The manufacture date of the computer was June 6, 2007. Odd that HP can tell me when it was made but not when I registered it. They also said I would have to take it back to the store where I purchased it to have it sent to a repair center (well that was Circuit City so that's not an option). I said I'd personally take it to the nearest HP repair center in Toronto where I'm stationed. Apparently that's not an option either, according to the HP rep. I can't understand that position and I don't think she knew why either (great service representative training by HP)

I argued with HP that since this is a known problem and they have fixed it for everyone who has reported this error, they should honor the repair for anyone who faces this issue. I was told that they will only fix computers with this problem exactly 2 years to the day and not one day beyond their extended warranty plan. I was told that I should have gone to the HP web site to check for this problem. I suggested, "Why would I go to the site to check for problems if I wasn't experiencing one? I didn't know there was a problem until it started to occur and then I went to the site and saw the extended warranty as so kindly linked by Davis.". The customer service rep said they would service it for $298 which is discounted from the usual price of $499. If they're willing to discount the repair because it's a known flaw, why won't they honor fixing the issue as it shows up for everyone. This is obviously a manufacturing issue that goes far beyond the warranty. There should be equality for everyone with this issue.

This reeks of poor customer service and consideration.

This is my second HP machine and very definitely my last (the Live Strong/Lance Armstrong HP computer that I bought suffered from a dead motherboard just at the end of the warranty period). We all have a choice in the products that we buy, it most certainly won't be HP any time soon as in EVER!. All that HP had to do to keep my happy was understand my predicament and help me out. Not even the supervisor would override the so called company policy which I'm sure they're empowered to do under certain circumstances. Especially since she was well aware of the technical flaw of this model. I'm not finished with them yet.

Edited by dieseldust, 20 October 2009 - 04:35 PM.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 734 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2009 - 06:17 AM

If you bought the laptop with a credit card, you might try either calling them or logging into their website and you should be able to get adequate proof (the line item on your statement constitutes proof of purchase) If you paid by check; the same holds true for your bank (they can provide an image of the cancelled check) They may want $5 or so to provide data from 2 years ago; but, that is, at least, more convenient.
Also, HP will ship you the box to return the laptop in at their expense.
The key to success with "customer service" is to patiently insist on getting what you want; asking for a supervisor until you get one or get the approval.
The laptop brought to me was almost a month out of warranty; but, the owner prevailed. HP has gotten a serious black eye over these laptops and will bend the rules if you keep at it.

In the interest of truth; though, the fault is in the NVidia chips supplied to HP which are almost guaranteed to cook themselves and the flawed parts are in numerous manufacturer's laptops.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users