Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MAC Address Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 joefuf

joefuf

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:51 PM

At my high school, my laptop has been blocked on the wireless internet that we have. I wasnít doing anything bad, itís just the policy that the administrator told our IT guy Ė if a new MAC address pops up that he didnít hook up, heís supposed to block it. Since mineís been blocked, I have tried a few different ways to change my MAC address (or spoof it). MacMakeup didnít seem to take on my computer and then I tried SMAC which looked like it was doing the job, but didnít.

According to MacMakeup my network adapters are:
RealTek RTL8186D/8111D Family PCI-E GBE NIC (ver. 6.217.226.20)
Dell Wireless1397 WLAN Mini-Card (ver. 4.170.77.3)

When I used SMAC I could change the MAC address of the RealTek one, but I think that I read somewhere that it was my Ethernet adapter.

Is there another program that I should use or a way that is easier or better to change my MAC address?

My computer is:
Dell Vostro 1520
Vista SP1 32-bit

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:00 AM

Hi Joefuf

You will not get assistance here at BC to help you circumvent security measures, and even if you did manage to change the MAC address you would still be in the same boat.

It will be an interesting exercise to see if you can change it, but somehow I doubt it as the MAC address is a unique identifier for each NIC card and Wireless Adapter.

Post back how you get on plz.

(If it is possible, and you cloned the numbers of an allowed machine, I would imagine that that person could be leaving themselves open for pretty severe retaliation so consider this very carefully. What may seem like fun now, may just not be.)

Edited by rowal5555, 18 May 2009 - 12:09 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob ) † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † † †† † † † † † † † † † † † † †

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users