Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

could I Be Infected?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Beckynva

Beckynva

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:02 PM

I have AVG free as my AV.I keep it updated and do daily scans. I also have Windows secuity activated to monitor my AV,firewall,ect. this morning I logged on and got a message from windows secuity that it couldnt detect that I have antivirus. I doublechecked and I do in fact still have AVG and it is working. I did a complete scan and came up clean. Evry thing worked fine . the only change I had made to my computer was to put a password on my windows xp administrator account last night. Does anybody know what could have caused Windows Security to stop "seeing" my antivirus program?

edited to add that I just did a system restore baack to yesterday and it windows security can now see my antivirus.wierd!!
Becky

Edited by Beckynva, 17 May 2009 - 03:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:42 PM

Good to hear it.
Hello it's possible but probably that not all antivirus programs are detectable or make themselves know to the MS security center in XP.
Is this XP or Vista?
Some use ful info here... Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center

See;
How does Windows Security Center detect third-party products and their status?
What recommendations are made when my antivirus program is out-of-date or when I have no antivirus program installed?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Beckynva

Beckynva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:46 PM

Good to hear it.
Hello it's possible but probably that not all antivirus programs are detectable or make themselves know to the MS security center in XP.
Is this XP or Vista?
Some use ful info here... Frequently asked questions about Windows Security Center

See;
How does Windows Security Center detect third-party products and their status?
What recommendations are made when my antivirus program is out-of-date or when I have no antivirus program installed?

It is XP Professional. Up until this morning it was being detected by windows security. at any rate,the system restore undid whatever it was that caused it. Sady it also did away with Spybot Search and Destoy that I downloaded and installed this afternoon. guess I gotta redo it.

thanks for your help!!

Edited by Beckynva, 17 May 2009 - 03:47 PM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:54 PM

Try downloading and save to Desktop.
Then disconnect from internet and install.. Reboot
Connect again and update the new application.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Beckynva

Beckynva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:14 PM

Try downloading and save to Desktop.
Then disconnect from internet and install.. Reboot
Connect again and update the new application.

thanks for your help
Becky

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:29 PM

You're welcome Becky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users