Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My First Dual Boot System!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ransompendragon

ransompendragon

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:15 PM

Hi,

Just wanted to post briefly my experience so far. I had no problem making the DVD from the downloaded image. I backed up everything, cleaned off my secondary ("D" to both XP and Win7) and installed Win7 there.

The brief issue was after the first restart since it started from DVD it started the install over again. All I did to fix this was pull the DVD out of the tray before it hit that point again. (I wanted to post this in case anyone else was having the same problem -- the only other post I found on it gave a complicated solution).

I haven't done anything with it yet and currently am working to get my sound working. But am pleased so far with the ease of this.

Also, no problem with the "dual boot" - the windows boot manager gives me the choice of "earlier version of windows" or windows 7."

What fun!

cheers.
Ransom
~ XFX 780i SLI ~ Intel E8500 Stock ~ 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper Stock ~ EVGA 8800GT SC 512 MB Stock ~ Creative X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair 750w PSU ~ LianLi PC7h+ Case ~ WD Raptor 150 GB HD ~ Seagate Baracuda 250 GB HD ~ Logitech z5500 Speakers ~ Viewsonic vx922 ~ Razer Diamondback Mouse ~ Saitek Gamer's Keyboard ~

Laptop 1 : Toshiba Satellite Pro <- CLEAN - THANKS BC! ~ Laptop 2: Eee 701 4G ~ Laptop3: Eee 1000 HE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 o_rly

o_rly

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:19 PM

Congratulations :huh:

You will love Windows 7!
Don't mind me, I'm just lurking.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:09 PM

I too was also tempted to try the dual boot. One thing I was wondering is do you have to reinstall software in the second OS? I mean it's still on your hard drive right? Or does it have to get reinstalled on the new OS and take up even more room on the HD?

#4 ransompendragon

ransompendragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:53 PM

Doug,

You will have to reinstall what you want to use. Anything that is data is visible to me in Win7, so I can install things I have downloaded prior, like the AV software.

And I was confused--my XP is installed on "C" with "D" as the data drive. In W7 I thought I was seeing C and D the same way, but of course it is reversed--the drive with XP and all my data shows as "D" and the OS shows on "C."

I still did not try to get my sound card going and it appears there are some other minor hardware things. But the look and feel is nice and it will be nice to explore and learn some new things. The price was certainly right!

Cheers.

Ransom
~ XFX 780i SLI ~ Intel E8500 Stock ~ 2 X 2 GB OCZ Reaper Stock ~ EVGA 8800GT SC 512 MB Stock ~ Creative X-Fi Platinum ~ Corsair 750w PSU ~ LianLi PC7h+ Case ~ WD Raptor 150 GB HD ~ Seagate Baracuda 250 GB HD ~ Logitech z5500 Speakers ~ Viewsonic vx922 ~ Razer Diamondback Mouse ~ Saitek Gamer's Keyboard ~

Laptop 1 : Toshiba Satellite Pro <- CLEAN - THANKS BC! ~ Laptop 2: Eee 701 4G ~ Laptop3: Eee 1000 HE

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 12:11 PM

So you need a lot of hard drive space to do this since you'd basically have double copies of all programs after the second install? Unless I'm not understanding. Guess I'd need a second internal HD before I try this.

#6 wabbit

wabbit

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2009 - 05:56 PM

So you need a lot of hard drive space to do this since you'd basically have double copies of all programs after the second install? Unless I'm not understanding. Guess I'd need a second internal HD before I try this.

I also have a machine that dual boots XP and Win7. All I did to install the programs on Win7 was install them on top of the apps on my XP drive. Win7 needs to write these to the registry and places some files in the windows directory. That's why you need to reinstall your apps in win7. Basically, I only have one copy of the programs I run on both XP and Win7. This saves on hard drive space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users