Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:55 PM

OK, here's the issue. My computer gets a 'low on virtual memory' popup when I'm working. Running multiple graphic design programs is often necessary for my job so I need to figure something out.

I can't help feel that Vista is the real problem here. Right now I'm running nothing but Firefox and my Virtual memory is at 59%. Is it me, or does that sound pretty high? Posted Image

I'm considering either buying and installing XP, to hopefully increase performance. Which isn't really on the top of my list of things I'd like to do. Or, upgrading to a 64-bit OS. The problem with that is that my computer is already maxed out with 4 gigs of RAM. Which is where my issue of upgrading comes in. What do I need to do to get more RAM in my computer? If I upgrade to a 64-bit OS without increasing the RAM will it make any difference? I think my CPU and Video card are still pretty good, so I don't plan on upgrading them. Suggestions? Recommendations? I don't know much about building computers so any help is appreciated. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:56 PM

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...e5c4b81033.mspx
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 03:22 PM

Thanks, good suggestion, actually. My friend set paging to 2048/2048mb and told me not to make it more than 2gig. Is that the problem, should I increase it? My computer has been funky since I upgraded the RAM to 4 gig. My Windows rating actually went down .2

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:05 PM

"Windows sets the initial minimum size of the paging file at the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer plus 300 megabytes (MB), and the maximum size at 3 times the amount of RAM installed on your computer"

According to that your minimum should be 4396
[I'd set it to 5120]

Maximum should be 12288

With it set to 2048/2048mb I can see why you're getting the message,

Edited by fairjoeblue, 17 May 2009 - 06:12 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:08 PM

Well, you've gotten rid of that annoying popup, I think, but it still gets pretty choppy when I'm multi-tasking.

Do you think it would be a good idea to try and upgrade? I think I'd have to do a rebuild, if that's even possible, because I have a Dell XPS410, and from what I've read they're not very upgrade friendly. It has a q6600 2.4 quad core chip and a 8800GTX 768mb video card. Not sure what else would be salvageable. Or, if I got 64-bit windows to actually use all 4gig of RAM, do you think that would help?

Thanks for all your suggestions, I appreciate it.

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

What is your idea of "multi-tasking" ?

Even the best computer can only do so much at 1 time without showing the strain.

A 2.4 quad core . 8800GTX 768mb video card , 4GB system shouldn't be shy about reasonable multi-tasking.

How manu eunning applications do you have ?

Right click on the bottom bar in the middle where there are no icons
on the menu click Task Manager
When the box opens click on Processes
Lokk in the lower left corner for the number of running processes

BTW, You what anti-virus program do you use.

#7 Doug E Fresh

Doug E Fresh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 01:01 PM

Multi-tasking for me would be Photoshop, Indesign and possibly Flash or Illustrator running at the same time with multiple files open on two different monitors. Unfortunately it's often necessary for me to jump back and forth between programs for my job so doing less at once isn't really a convenient option.

As of now I have only 3 applications running(photoshop, flash, and firefox).There is what seems to me an excessive amount of processes running. I use McAfee, WinPatrol and run a SpyBot scan occasionally. If I'm not online and I'm working I do shut down McAfee if I need the resources. Here's a screen of the processes. http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/164/services.jpg
I have investigated most of them to see what the do/are for and I believe I've eliminated the unnecessary stuff, including most of Vistas bells and whistles. I could be wrong though, I'm sure.

I want to blame Vista for the problems, hence the wanting to switch to XP. I love Vista, but I don't love how it runs sometimes. I appreciate any suggestions, because I don't know what else to do at this point. Thanks!

Edited by Doug E Fresh, 18 May 2009 - 01:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users