Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet connection failing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Dimwitt

Dimwitt

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

This is a second hand computer that I got from a friend. When I got it I started downloading the software that I wanted on it.

McAfee Firewall,McAfee Virus,Spybot,AdAware,Registry Mechanic,Spyware Dr., ect.

The first time I lost my internet connection was when I tried to install Spyware Dr.
I did a system restore and skipped that program. I tried to install spybot with the same results. Again system restore. It worked fine for about a week and then over time I lost my connection again. I decided to use my system recovery cd and when I started installing things spybot and spyware dr. installed fine, this time McAfee firewall broke the connection. System restore had lost all of its restore points so I used the recovery cd again. I Started installing and got to McAfee virus and lost my connection. This goes on and on like this for about a month with different installs or time breaking my internet connection.

Things that may help you to know.............

Sometimes the connection will last for the first five or ten minutes, restarting the system will give me another five or ten minutes.

My firewall is not blocking my connection as it has been diabled or uninstalled during most of this.

I have downloaded Hijackthis and have had it read in the forum. I was told that it was clean.

In the past (before I got it) windows xp was installed on this computer, then uninstalled because of errors. No I don't know exactly what the problem was.

Uninstalling the program that breaks the connection does no good. Once the connection is gone the only way to recover it seems to be system restore or the recovery cd.

Related or not also over time system restore takes longer and longer. Last night it took five hours.

I'm sorry for the long post but I have posted in this and other forums with no luck and I wanted to be as detailed as I could. If I left any important information out just ask, I'm more then happy to answer.

As always thank You for any help that you can give.

Dimwitt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:30 AM

Sounds like a broken Winsock. Try this. This version is only for Win 98/Win ME!!!

#3 Dimwitt

Dimwitt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:52 PM

Sadly that doesn't seem to be the issue.

I tried the Winsock2 Fix both before and after I tried to install my virus scanner and had the same problems that I listed before. Then I read this on the link that you gave me;

Even the old operating systems are now compatible with a newer winsockfix.exe utility.

So I tried that one too. That was even worse. Explorer not only couldn't connect, but half of my programs had the error message of "not responding"

After both installs I had to restore my computer.

Thanks for the help, any other ideas?

Dimwitt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users