Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WDFLDR.SYS is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:08 AM

Hello,

I am Jason and i recently encountered a problem on my vista home premium machine (I'm running home premium, 2 gb ram, pentium 4, and 6800gt video card/audigy 2 zs sound card) in which i get an error message at boot with these details:

Error code: 0xc0000221

File: WDFLDR.SYS

Windows has failed to start because a required system file is corrupted, or missing.

No new hardware changes were made, no software installed, just randomly, it happened. I did use Auslogics Registry defrag/cleaner and CCleaner shortly before this happened, but i don't think that would cause a problem. I have googled it but other threads about it were not useful. I guess that the problem is not widespread enough for many people to have gotten it and reported it.

- I can't get into Vista in normal or safe mode with any of the options in the boot menu.
- I CAN access my files on the vista hard drive through another operating system (XP) on my computer.
- I tried replacing the file from another vista machine, but it says i do not have permission to edit the file.
- I can't use System Restore from the vista cd because it says i have no restore points.
- I tried using the Repair Computer feature in the vista cd but that has failed every time.
- I can't run SFC/ scannow from the cd because it says "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the request operation."

Thank you so much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 05:41 AM

Bumping for reponse.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:35 AM

I did use Auslogics Registry defrag/cleaner and CCleaner shortly before this happened, but i don't think that would cause a problem.

Don't be so sure. This is why Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners

I tried replacing the file from another vista machine, but it says i do not have permission to edit the file.

Taking ownership of a file or folder:
http://www.vistarevisited.com/2008/01/09/h...older-in-vista/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

I read over that website about taking ownership of files. Only one problem. I cannot login to my Vista account to do that! I am using my alternate XP isntall on another hard drive, and i am having trouble finding a way to replace them through XP.

Is there any way to gain access to Vista privileges through an external OS?

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2009 - 06:47 PM

This is for a different problem, but the procedure just might work

http://tc2.atspace.com/0020-AutorunsMistake.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MikeJohnDave56

MikeJohnDave56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2009 - 05:19 PM

I tried this now. It didn't do anything becuase the autorun is not what is causing the problem.

Is there any possible way i could edit the registry to repair that file instead of doing the steps mentioned?

Edited by SuperTyphoon, 19 May 2009 - 05:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users