Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Lauch

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nonna

nonna

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

Hello all,

I have windows xp, can someone please tell me how do I delete or add icons from Quick Launch, the ones that appear on the taskbar?

Much appreciated if anyone can help me.

Cheers

Nonna

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:45 AM

Items in the taskbar are simply shortcuts to an application's .exe file. You can delete these by right clicking on the icon and cursor down to delete on the drop down menu. To add an icon, go to the application's file (open it through Windows Explorer) and find the correct file (usually you will see the picture of the icon before the file name); this may take some hunting through the subfolders. Right click, and look for "Create shortcut" then drag and drop the new shortcut to your task bar.
Remember, though, that each shortcut adds (even if just a little) to your boot time.
Hope this helps,
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:32 AM

Hello John

Thanks for responding, but when I right click on any of the icons I don't get a delete option. I get and exit option but that doesn't delete it permanently. When I logon the next day it's back on the Taskbar again.

I want to delete it permanently because like you say it affects start up, which is the annoying part.

Cheers

Nonna

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 09:10 AM

nonna, do you mean QuickLaunch items (on the taskbar near Start), or the Notification Area opposite Start?

Absence of Delete in the context menu suggests Notification items. If these are what you want to alter, right-click on the recessed "tray" the icons are in and select "Customize Notifications". You can hide any of the icons you don't want to see on the taskbar.

If you want to remove the program that places the icon there, you will need to uninstall the program, or change it's installation options so it does not start with Windows, but runs on demand.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 nonna

nonna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:42 AM

Thanks Platypus

That helps me immensely, it is the Notification items. Yes they are in Customize under properties but I have never been able to delete them I only get the option to hide when inactive. I do need to uninstall then reinstall and make sure that when I reinstall I don't select that option.

Many Many Many Thanks

Cheers

Nonna

:thumbsup:

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:18 PM

With most programs you would not need to uninstall and reinstall them to get rid of the icons in the taskbar. Many times when you right click on the icon it will give you the option of turning the autostart off. If it doesn't have that option, you can usually open the program and turn it off under preferences. If there isn't an option there you can use a program such as Spybot or Autoruns to remove those entries from startup. I use Spybots startup section located in its tools menu to take care of any startup programs that I cannot control through the program itself. If you use that, just make sure you are only disabling the programs you do not want starting and do not disable any windows programs from starting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users