Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hdd RPM Speed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 01:04 AM

If i ever need to get a new Hdd, i know that i want to buy 7200 RPM for the faster read/write speed.

How do i check what speed my current Hdd is right now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:20 AM

This is a nice application
http://www.hdtune.com/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:36 AM

HD Tune is neat.

Or in the absence of any utilities, note the model of drive shown in the POST report, or in Device Manager, and Google the specifications.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 04:03 PM

Just was thinking, does a higher rpm affect vitural memory at all? I have plenty of RAM, 2GB , right now i am using 863MB. So i dont think my VM is ever used. I just looking into a faster read/write speed if i need to ever replace my hdd.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 17 May 2009 - 04:04 PM.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

If Windows does use the page file, a higher performance hard drive will reduce the lag to some degree. If you have adequate RAM, page file usage should be minimal, but can still happen at times, especially if you have several applications multitasking.

Since 3.5" HDDs are normally 7200RPM now, I guess we're speaking of a laptop drive?

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:16 PM

yes my laptop is 5400 rpm. Its working fine. I did a google search of the model. When i need to replace it, i am going to get a 7200rpm.
What are the normal speed that are available today? i know that 5400 and 7200 are some, as i am sure there are faster( as well as slower) speeds.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:04 PM

4200, 5400 & 7200 that I'm aware of. Performance laptop drives are moving toward SSDs (Solid State Drives), but ones that actually are fast and should give long life are still expensive.

You won't necessarily see a large jump in performance going from 5400 to 7200 RPM. I bumped the 4200 RPM drive in my smaller Compaq laptop up to a 7200, which is a noticeable boost, but it runs significantly warmer. I wouldn't like to use it for long in a non-airconditioned environment. Also you hear it a little more than the 4200.

I also fitted a 7200 RPM drive in the second drive bay in my newer HP, it is just a little faster than the 5400 (which is larger capacity, this often boosts data transfer rate anyway).

#8 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2009 - 10:37 PM

As soon as SS Hdd comes down in price (and to a high enough capacity) i am going to buy one. Pretty soon there wiill be NO moving parts in a computer, other than a the CPU fan right? Current tech Hdds are starting to show thier age, and i am sure that Disk drives (CD and DVD ) are going to the same fate as the Telegraph. LOL

#9 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,482 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2009 - 07:37 AM

Given time, I think that's true. It's surprising how traditional technologies can fight back though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users